cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 6 - firmware updates

garywood84
Grafter

BT Home Hub 6 - firmware updates

If I use a BT Home Hub 6 on my Plusnet account, is it possible to download firmware updates for the router? If so, how?

6 REPLIES 6
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 779

Re: BT Home Hub 6 - firmware updates

Hi @garywood84 

Unfortunately we can’t arrange for the firmware in BT routers to be updated however from what I’ve read to happen I believe that BT will update the firmware automatically when one is available although I wouldn’t quote me on that. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
LifeonMars
Pro
Fixes: 10

The Bt Smart Hub and BT Smart Hub2 both received the latest updates when connected to plusnet.

garywood84
Grafter

@LifeonMars 

Perfect - thanks mate. I may try and obtain a HH6 via ebay to provide an interim solution whilst we push Plusnet to find a proper resolution to this.

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 99

@garywood84 

Why only an interim solution? The Smarthub 6 is superior to a Hub One, which under the ugly case is an old BT Home Hub 5a with tweeked firmware.

Don't waste your time with the Hub One. Plusnet is a budget ISP and this is reflected in the hardware that they supply.

garywood84
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

For four reasons, mainly.

First, because the Hub One has worked well for me for the last 3 years. I tried it as a temporary measure when my Netgear router broke, and intended it only to be until I got another Netgear device. But I found that it worked fine, and so I saved money on buying a new router.

Second, because using PN hardware is preferable if a fault arises, because it's definitely not my kit in that context.

Third, because the PN router doesn't have a BT logo on the front.

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, because it's important that we still push Plusnet to find a resolution to this problem. It's affecting a lot of people, and if those of us who are able to switch to different kit stop pushing for a solution, those who can't do that for whatever reason can't make as big a fuss.

Out of interest, though why do you think the Home Hub 6 is superior? 

Highlighted
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 99

@garywood84 wrote:

@Baldrick1 

Out of interest, though why do you think the Home Hub 6 is superior? 

1. As far as I am aware it does not suffer from all the current Hub One wireless problems

2. See here for a comparison of wireless performance between the two:  https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/c6nx/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf

3. It does not suffer from the Hub One noise problems.

4. The case is far more attractive than the garish pink footed Hub One, I have no problem with the BT logo.

5. You can dim/switch off the bright blue light.

6. If you get a Business version you have more settings available. For example you can choose the DNS server to use.

I commend your determination to press Plusnet for a solution to whichever of the current Hub One problems you are seeking to get resolved and I wish you all the best with influencing Plusnet/BT (the core firmware is the same as is used on the HH5).