cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business hub 6 simple question how to get it to update the firmware

railwayt

BT Business hub 6 simple question how to get it to update the firmware

Can someone explain how you can force this hub to update  the firmware. Typical of BT to invent a router that only they can update. All my other routers  Net gear etc  you simply went to a page of there's    downloaded the latest firmware file and did it yourself. Iv recently acquired this router  and its sat with firmware from the beginning of 2019  i know there have been updates since but after 4 weeks of being plugged in nothing. Maybe because its a BT plusnet just push the updates   seems a bit bizarre  but i cant complain it is working well    just dont want it to be out of date  if it needs important updates  

Thanks in advance 

HH

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: BT Business hub 6 simple question how to get it to update the firmware

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

There's no way to force it to manually update, you just need to sit and wait.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@railwayt 

I'm pretty sure that you can't but it might be worth switching it off using the switch on the back, not the mains. Leave it for a minute then switch it back on. Do this only once as it will be interpreted as a line drop.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

frankc52
Grafter

Bearing in mind if it's not broke. When I first installed my BT smart Hub 6 it did a few firmware updates and finished with Aug 9 2020 firmware version SG4B1000E020

All was well for about 7 days and the Router re-set itself losing all information and reverting back to factory settings.

I input the username and password and it sprang back to life but now it was reporting Firmware updated 01-Jan-0001 with the same Firmware version SG4B1000E020 and also changed the name of the connection type: Fiber Broadband (VDSL) from BT Infinity.

I have turned it off to re-boot but the date remains the same.  All is working ok with a Download sync speed of 79.99 Mbps and Wifi of 69 Mbps on the 5GHz (split from 2.4GHz) which Is very stable. Just in case people say I'm not getting that, I'm a stones throw to the main exchange and the street cabinet is outside my house.

Tags (2)
railwayt

Appreciate the help people i might justvleave it as it appears to be working OK. Just didn't want important updates missed but as you've pointed if it ain't broken dont fix it
mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@frankc52 wrote:

Bearing in mind if it's not broke. When I first installed my BT smart Hub 6 it did a few firmware updates and finished with Aug 9 2020 firmware version SG4B1000E020

All was well for about 7 days and the Router re-set itself losing all information and reverting back to factory settings.

I input the username and password and it sprang back to life but now it was reporting Firmware updated 01-Jan-0001 with the same Firmware version SG4B1000E020 and also changed the name of the connection type: Fiber Broadband (VDSL) from BT Infinity.

I have turned it off to re-boot but the date remains the same.  All is working ok with a Download sync speed of 79.99 Mbps and Wifi of 69 Mbps on the 5GHz (split from 2.4GHz) which Is very stable. Just in case people say I'm not getting that, I'm a stones throw to the main exchange and the street cabinet is outside my house.

I have seen this once. I switched it off using the switch on the back, leaving the mains on. Switching it back on a miute or so later fixed the date problem. At the time I put it down to the rise time of the mains power supply being marginally slow but had no evidence that this was the cause.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Just for the record, my business smart hub updated its firmware in the early hours of this morning (08/10/2020) to

SG4B1B0092DE.

Not obvious to me at the moment what changes have been made since the last revision in July this year.

frankc52
Grafter

Have pulled the plug and waited for a good five minutes to make sure the circuit was dead. Rebooted and it's still the same date see screenshot. But as its working quite well I can live with it.

My line speed is reported @  79.99 Mbps Down sync speed and up @ 20Mbps I'm quite near the exchange and the street cab is outside my house.

I have a network cable direct to my iMac and I'm getting 74 Mbps 

Better still my iPhone on 5GHz at the furthest away (Old style 3-bed semi) is getting 73Mbps and hasn't moved from the 5GHz connection even when at the bottom of the garden 25M.

With the Hub One, the line speed was the same but the WiFi speed was all over the place and quite slow and report I was using the wrong password, that was with the latest firmware so the £18.00 spent was worth every penny. 

Thanks for your input and post

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
Tags (1)