cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Smart Hub

doogleq

BT Business Smart Hub

Following useful advice on this forum, I bought a BT Business Smart Hub 6 from eBay for £33. It arrived yesterday and I had it up and running within minutes. So far it's working well.

However, I'm not sure that what I've been sent is the "Business" version of the router because I can't find the option to change DNS servers, which I understand to be the difference between the business and home version. I contacted the seller and she is adamant that it is the business version and advised me to check the model number.

I wonder if anyone here could help me to work out which version I have, please?

The model number is: 084316

The box says "BT Smart Hub" on it but I've since seen boxes on eBay with "BT Business Smart Hub" written on it.

My firmware version is SG4B1000B522, updated 21 Feb 2018.

And could somebody please send me step-by-step instructions on how I should be able to get to the page to edit the DNS servers if I do have the business version?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: BT Business Smart Hub

I believe the business smart hub should be 088315 and say business on the box too.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I have both a Smarthub and a Business Smarthub. Model 084316 is not the business version so you cannot change tha DNS addresses..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

To add to my post yesterday, attached are screenshots from both a Smarthub and a Business Hub Status and IPv4 pages. You will note that the first part of the serial number is the model. Also note that the Smarthub was not connected at the time.

This also shows the anomoly on the Business Hub whereby the DNS on the Status page does not match that selected in the IPv4 settings. More on that can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Business-Smarthub-6-and-DNS-Settings/m-p/1515513#M5724

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

doogleq

That's all brilliant - thank you! The eBay seller has now apologised and agreed to accept the router back. I've now ordered another one, which will hopefully be correct this time.

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I bought one last week and it does say `Business` on the box and when you go to the DNS settings it's all unlocked for editing.

Good luck in getting the right router!

Small-Acres

Just to report that, w.e.f. yesterday, I too am successfully using a BT Business Smart Hub 6 to access Plusnet via ADSL2+ (no fibre to my cabinet, unfortunately, although it is ubiquitous in my area).  The router advised me that my Plusnet authentication credentials were unacceptable but nonetheless accepted and saved them and my connection is now infinitely more stable than it was with my previous (and rather expensive) TP-Link AC2800.  Well done, BT -- nice piece of kit, and I especially like the ability to adjust the wireless mode to ensure compatibility with different WiFi dongles ...