Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub (modem mode), AsusZenWifi Ax and windows server 2016 essentials

Fitzy
Hooked

BT Business Hub (modem mode), AsusZenWifi Ax and windows server 2016 essentials

Hi all

I wonder if anybody can assist - trying to set up the subject equipment and all seems well 'internally' i.e. internet access, wifi and server access, however we cannot access the server from a remote location/alternative network and I'm presuming that this is probably a configuration issue? 

Could anybody please confirm what the settings for the router should be in terms of IP, DHCP and DNS:-

Modem (Bt Hub) is currently: 

Smart Setup: off

B/Band IP -  51.7.53.252

Gatway -  172.16.11.213

Pri DNS -  212.159.6.10

Sec DNS -  212.159.6.9

Asus is currently set to:

Wan connection type:  automatic

Wan IP:  192.168.1.66

Lan IP:   192.168.50.1

subnet mask:  255.255.255.0

DHCP Range:  192.168.50.2 - 199 (server is set out of range)

Port forwarding for server IP configured (80 & 443)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fitz

12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: BT Business Hub (modem mode), AsusZenWifi Ax and windows server 2016 essentials

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: BT Business Hub (modem mode), AsusZenWifi Ax and windows server 2016 essentials

@Fitzy  Welcome to the forum.

Which model of Business Hub do you have?

I am only familiar with the Smarthub 6 and as far as I have been able to determine the only model that allows you to use it simply as a modem is the FTTP version, where you enable briging mode in the Home/Advanced Settings/Broadband/Bridging tab.

Otherwise you are using the hub as a combined modem/router and double NATing, probably causing you problem.

You may be better off ditching the BT Hub and getting a simple modem, or at least a hub that can be configured as a bridge modem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Fitzy
Hooked

@Baldrick1  Thank you for the response it is appreciated.

The hub allowed me to enable briging mode in the: Home/Advanced Settings/Broadband/Bridging tab - so my presumption is that is ok?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Port forwarding for server IP configured (80 & 443)

@Fitzy As @Baldrick1 says, you've got double NAT. You will need to forward ports on both the Business hub and the Zen Wifi

Ignore ,above, posts crossed , if the Bus hub is bridged then shouldnt be an issue

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Fitzy
Hooked

Hi @MisterW 

I didn't think that would be required with the 'smart' hub being in modem mode (Bridging: enabled)?   So thank you - I'll let you know if it solves the problem

Baldrick1

@Fitzy 

Sounds obvious but you are using the Red WAN socket

Moderator and Customer

Fitzy
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

The smart hub we have doesnt have a red WAN socket - 4 yellow ethernet ports only?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Your first post shows

Modem (Bt Hub) is currently: 

Smart Setup: off

B/Band IP -  51.7.53.252

Gatway -  172.16.11.213

Pri DNS -  212.159.6.10

Sec DNS -  212.159.6.9

Thats not in bridge mode...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@Fitzy 

Have you tried doing a factory reset before puting it into bridge mode in case it's the changing from the default BT settings that's screwing things up?

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Fitzy 

Just thought after the edit time on my previous post elapsed:

Your log in credentials should only be entered into the Asus Router. Apart from a factory reset and selecting bridge mode nothing else should be changed on the Smarthub. Do this BEFORE plugging in the DSL cable.

Moderator and Customer

Fitzy
Hooked

@Baldrick1 @MisterW 

Thanks guys - the smart hub wasn't correctly in bridge mode, did a factory reset and reconfigured both hub an router and can now obtain remote access offsite.  My only problem now is that offsite users still can not connect to the server even though a VPN connection is apparently being connected? Get the following error (image attached).

The server had been placed out of dhcp range on the router and port 80 & 43 have been opened for it?

As stated I can now obtain offsite RWA and RDP the server and other onsite desktops - any ideas guys?

Fitzy
Hooked

Just in case anyone has the same problem - Took a lot of searching around but finally resolved it by adding a pool of static 'pass through' IP addres to the server (Essentials 2016) using powershell.

Once again thanks for your help guys.