cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Error connecting phone to wifi

Lexxie

Authentication Error connecting phone to wifi

I have had Plusnet unlimited fibre for about a year and a half, with absolutely no issues. I've suddenly gone over my data allowance on my mobile phone, for the first time ever, and have realised that my phone has been failing to connect to my home WiFi connection for the last month or so. This has meant that when home I've been chomping through my data, when I thought I was connected to my home WiFi!

Looking at my phone, whenever I get home, it's failing to connect to WiFi as it always used to, and I get no error message of any kind to warn me, but when I look at WiFi I get the attached screen.

When I tap the WiFi connection again it usually manages to connect, but sometimes not.

Everything else in my home is connected without issue (3 Google home minis, 2 chromecast, multiple smart sockets and light bulbs, 2 security cameras, and my printer).

I stayed with my Mum for a week last week, also a Plusnet customer (but not fibre) and my phone had no issues with her router or WiFi.

I've tried Airplane Mode on and off again, a network reset on the phone, but nothing seems to work. I've also tried Forget Network and re-adding the network, but the same thing occurs the next time it tries to connect.

I found another post on here with this identical issue and it seemed to be a firmware issue dating back to March, which would fit my scenario also.

How can I get this fixed please? I really don't want to have to keep buying additional data from EE.
2 REPLIES 2
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Authentication Error connecting phone to wifi

Does your phone support dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi?

If yes, following these instructions and force your phone to use 2.4 GHz wifi to see if it resolves the issue.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Until such time Plusnet has a fix for reported 5GHz wifi issues with latest firmware, 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, the advice from Plusnet is to turn off the 5 GHz wifi on the hub by go to '5GHz wireless configuration' tab.

Select 'Wireless network enable' :  No

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Lexxie

Re: Authentication Error connecting phone to wifi

Brilliant, thank you. My phone does support dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, so I've done as you suggested and turned 5 GHz off on the router for now. Will report back if it continues with the authentication error but hopefully it's fixed.

Thanks for your help Bill888.