cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attached devices and ntp

brofield

Attached devices and ntp

Hi,

I am having trouble with a hub one firmware  4.7.5.1.83.8.263 currently showing an hour behind. I read that there is a fix for this in the pipeline, will this fix also be addressing the issues with seeing attached devices in the network tree?

I am trying to see allocated ip addresses on headless machines an this somewhat hampers progress.

Advice from other threads to run arp -a on other devices also doesn't help as the output from this doesn't show a full list. Pinging 192.168.1.255 also doesn't catch all devices.

10 REPLIES 10
taylormc

Re: Attached devices and ntp

[post deleted]

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Separate issues but may end up being fixed at the same time. In the meantime, it's probably worth you assigning static local IP addresses to your headless machines.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@brofield 

Not sure what your system capabilities are, but for what its worth, setting up your own ntp server on your lan, and accessing the ntp pool closest to you may be a better solution.

I do this using opnsense, all my servers got to the local ntp server which is fed from the ntp pool and a gps receiver running as stratum 1.

I also run my own dhcp and dns servers, assigning static addresses to the servers.

brofield

Any idea why the router doesn't display this information properly? 

To be honest, not really worth the effort of changing all my devices to static ips. I think the change to a hubone just caught me at the wrong time.

Is there any timescale for the fixes?

Also is there any combined router/modem you would recommend? And is there any reason I can't use the old b-focus  /r i found upstairs in the cupboard?

Thanks

brofield

@dws1900 

unfortunately you cannot choose different ntp servers in the hubone

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@brofield 

Options

1. Your headless servers, are they linux or bsd based, if so install ntp and modify the config file to get the time from the ntp pool.

Even desktops allow you to change the ntp address.

2. set up an ntp server on a rasberry pi, point all the servers etc to your local ntp server.

3. Re modem/router, I am not sure if all of them will actually provide an ntp server, most have a ntp client to set up the router time, but you need to ensure they can propagate the time service to your lan. Check out the oft mentioned hub 6 on this community, it may be of use. 

Not sure what a b-focus  is, can you provide more information.

brofield

@dws1900 

Sorry I seem to have misled you.

The issues are all router based. The router has the incorrect time in it which leads to issues with access control and reading logs as the time the router thinks it is is an hour behind (no BST correction), from other threads I understand there is a fix but currently no timescale.

This is more of an inconvenience rather than a problem for me but it would be nice if the time in the router was correct.

The other issue is that when in the router GUI you cannot view all the connected devices as for some reason they don't all show up. It has been intimated that this may or may not be fixed possibly at the same time.

As bob said a work around is to set all devices to static IP addresses but again it would be rather nice not to have to.

In response to your original question the headless servers are as it happens all RPI's (I have rather too many of them) so they all point to the debian ntp pools so have the correct time in them. Also not that difficult to do static IP but with 6 of them I just can't be bothered (also shouldn't "have" to).

The b-focus is the old infinity modem from before the hubone was available, I believe it should work but again just trying to save some effort before I move furniture and reroute wires again.

Thanks

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@brofield 

Only 6, Smiley I run about 12 VM's, all debian, all static as if there is a dns issue I can use the ip address to get  to them.

I assign a block of static's then a block for dynamic addresses, yes it is tedious seting them up, and I used to curse when the router lost the lot.

No issues now as opnsense allows restoration of various services after a rebuild.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@brofield drop me a private message and I'll see if I can fix the NTP thing for you next week.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵