Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus BRT-AC828 Router

FIXED
jonathandibble
Dabbler

Asus BRT-AC828 Router

I have purchased an Asus BRT-AC828 router as a replacement to our Plusnet One Router to try and have better wifi quality around the house.  My fibre broadband is has an OpenReach MK 3 master box, that has a RJ11 socket that connects to the back of our Plus One router.

All attempts to get the Asus to connect have failed, I connected the RJ11 socket to the back of the router through and RJ11 to RJ45 connector https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3m-scan-rj45-rj11-white-cable .  The router says there is no connection Sad

Any suggestions would be welcome, also has anybody else used this router to connect to plusnet?

10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Asus BRT-AC828 Router

You will need a VDSL modem as that router is a cable router, not a VDSL one.

tibs01
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fix

get one of these modems

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-DM200-100EUS-High-Speed-Broadband-Modem/dp/B01GL3YPHI/ref=sr_1_1_ss...

easy to setup im using one with a linksys wrt1900acs

works well

steve

jonathandibble
Dabbler

I thought I'd been careful not to buy a cable modem when I researched my purchase, clearly I made a mistake along the way Sad

Thanks for your response @Mustrum

jonathandibble
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice @tibs01, that is a good alternative to returning my new modem to ebuyer.com

fb
Dabbler

@jonathandibble

Just a gem of circumstantial evidence to support using a modem (or your existing router) with a cable router. A couple of months ago when I was looking for a router I was puzzled that eBuyer was throwing in a free DM200 with its high end Netgear routers. Now I know why. 

fb
Dabbler

@jonathandibble wrote:

I thought I'd been careful not to buy a cable modem when I researched my purchase, clearly I made a mistake along the way Sad

Thanks for your response @Mustrum

@jonathandibble

Also available from eBuyer:and classified as a cable router (I bought mine a bit cheaper from Argos):- TP-Link Archer C60 AC1350 Wireless Router

This rectified the wifi dropout (from BT HH5) family members were experiencing in other parts of the house (a typical 1920's 2-up 2-down with a loft conversion plonked on top). I was advised before buying that the tp-link was a standalone router requiring a separate modem, but that it would also work by connecting the modem input to the ethernet output of any ISP provided  router.

Best of luck,

football boots

jonathandibble
Dabbler

My internet connection is now set up with a Netgear DM200 working as a modem connected to a WAN port in my Asus BRT-AC828.

Five days in the connection has been rock solid, the WiFi from the Asus BRT-AC828 serves the whole house admirably.  I am sure the setup will need some minor tweaks along the way, but it is so much more resilient than than the PlusNet One Router.  My son is a massive gamer and the wired connection to router regularly started to get "laggy" and a reset of the router was a daily operation.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but thank you to everyone who has commented and offered advice.

fb
Dabbler

I disagree with the "accepted fix"; not on effectiveness but on cost. I, too, bought a cable router after researching the web. I bought a TP Link Archer C60 ac1350 from Argos for £49.99. This works perfectly with my plusnet Hub One giving a strong wifi signal throughout my home.

Out of curiosity and opportunity I bought an ex-display Netgear DM200. There is no difference in performance between the two, but the Netgear is small and neat.

jonathandibble
Dabbler

Hi,

The fix is the fix.  It is what I did to resolve the issue.

Really pleased you solved your problem.Smiley

Take care

Jonathan

fb
Dabbler

I posted my comment for the benefit of other community members who might be interested for whatever reason. The (definite article) is your (possessive pronoun) chosen fix to solve the problem (common to many people) of wifi dropout. There could be more than one fix; a wifi extender, for example, could have saved me a little money. 

football boots (in memory of my economics master)

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.