cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask for a HUB1 or recommend another BETTER ROUTER to connect to existing Modem ?

FIXED
rolya
Grafter

Ask for a HUB1 or recommend another BETTER ROUTER to connect to existing Modem ?

Getting fed up with multiple boxes to achieve a speed that is not good enough. 

Can't use my APPLE-TC as Router into Modem setup as doesn't support multi-cast for YouView TV. 

Speed of Wifi is down around 10mb/s when using the default PlusNet SagemCom box, compared to what I had when APPLE-TC was main router. 

So do I ask for HUB1 or just replace the PlusNet/APPLE-TC combo with a single good router like a Linksys/ASUS/Netgear. I don't necessarily need the APPLE-TC features these days so would sell that to fund replacement. Just frustrating to pay for 80mb/s line speed and get around 50 at best, when I had 60-65 when APPLE-TC was main router. 

7 REPLIES 7
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Ask for a HUB1 or recommend another BETTER ROUTER to connect to existing Modem ?

I presume you have a Sagemcom 2704n router?

This will not resolve your 'multiple box' issue, but have you considered using the Sagemcom as  your main router to resolve the Youview issue?   Disable the wifi on the Sagemcom.

Configure your Time Capsule into bridge mode and connect it to the 2704n, to provide better wifi coverage?

If you choose to use a 3rd party router, you will need to make sure it supports Youview/Plusnet/BT TV.

The Hub One is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5 type A.  The 5 GHz wifi on this router is not that great imho.  If you can get a Hub One for just cost of delivery for recontracting with Plusnet then you have nothing to lose by trying one.  Otherwise, Plusnet charges £99.   There are also plenty of Hub Ones and Home Hub 5 on eBay of course.

(minor update: correct spelling mistakes)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
rolya
Grafter

Re: Ask for a HUB1 or recommend another BETTER ROUTER to connect to existing Modem ?

Hi there. Yes that's how I have it at the moment, wifi switched off on sagemcom. 

I'll look for an improved router in the market that supports multicast. Cheers 

mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fix

I am using a TPLink VR200 which has good all round connectivity including plus TV/dual band wifi/dsl modem and adsl wan and a couple of usb slots. I also like the facility to turn those annoying lights off. Cost around £70 on Amazon. Easy to set up using your Plusnet internet login details.

Regards

rolya
Grafter

Brilliant - will let you know how I get on. 

mikewalsh
Rising Star

Great - let me know if you have any problems 

Regards Mike

rolya
Grafter

So I went into Maplin (had a voucher from a previous spend). They didn't have a VR200 in stock, so I got a VR600, £99

installed - up and running, now have a 2.4ghz and 5ghz network running at about 45mb and 60mb respectively. Also have the features of guest login and USB NAS storage which the appleTC gave me, with multi casting working - which Apple TV didn't give me, with now only 1 box instead of 2.

so very happy! 🙂 

thanks for the tip!

N.B. Had to use the advanced setup, as switched to PPOE and changed to router mode instead of adsl modem/router 

mikewalsh
Rising Star

Glad to hear it the VR 600 is essentially the same - similar setup, faster 5mhz ac wifi. Different chipset. But the same connectivity - and the led off switch 😉