cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Argh! Wifi frequently dropping out! Help!

JulesM
Hooked

Argh! Wifi frequently dropping out! Help!

Have been with Plusnet for a few weeks and the frequent loss of wifi signal is driving us all crazy!  It happens so often I've ended up turning wifi off on my phone, as it simply won't load any pages.  The children's X box keeps losing connection and as I work from home I'm now starting worry I did the wrong thing by moving from TalkTalk - the speed was slower, but it didn't drop the connection like this, ever.  Please help!

12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Argh! Wifi frequently dropping out! Help!

Hi there, 

I've just connected into the router remotely to check the wireless settings and I can see that the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels have been split but no devices are conected to the 5ghz band. It would be a good idea to see if you can try connecting some devices, especially if you have any iPhones or other Apple devices to that one, if anything doesn't connect to it then it should connect onto the 2.4ghz band just fine. 

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Holty84
Dabbler

I have the same issue, just find the wifi signal is so unstable. Didn't have any other issues with previous suppliers

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Morning @Holty84 Smiley

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices  to for a stronger signal.  
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
DreadNought
Hooked

I've been having the same issue since around Thursday myself.  I've recently moved into a block of flats (3 floors in total, not a tower block) so perhaps the wifi channels really are congested.  However I've been here a month now and this only started Thursday which seems a bit strange to me.

My laptop is connected to the router via Ethernet cable and suffers no real issues (apart from the connection being a bit slow now and then), but my phone doesn't seem to hold the wifi connection at all.  For the record, the router, laptop and phone are all in the same room.

I have tried a DNS flush on both the laptop and phone and things seem to have stabilised for the time being.  We'll see how long that lasts for!  

I've never tried to adjust any of the settings on any router that I've ever had before so I'm a little anxious about having to do that really.  Are there any specific instructions that I should read up on before I even consider trying that?  For future reference if nothing else.

Thank you.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @DreadNought Smiley Yours is a little different as you're on an ADSL connection. I've just tested the line to ensure it isn't a broadband issue for you, so you might have experienced a drop.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Plusnet Hub Zero, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) Once you are connected, you will see the option that says 'Wi-Fi Network' with the name of your network followed by the 'Settings' button.

3) Please select 'Settings' and you will be asked to log in with the 'Router Password'. This password is found on the bottom of the router and is case sensitive. This password can also be found on the plastic card that came with the router.

4) The Channel is the key option that we need to look for, If this is on Auto then we will want to change this to one of the 13 channels listed on the drop down menu. This stage is all down to trial and error to find the best channel for you.

If we are experiencing issues on wireless, then it is recommended to change this to one of the 13 channels listed.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
DreadNought
Hooked

Hi tinytaco.

Many thanks for your prompt response and the detailed information which really helped me get through the screens and find what I need to change.  Unfortunately at the speed my phone is attempting to download/install wifi analyzer (there are quite a few different apps for Android if there is a suggested one I should be looking at), the next ice age will have started so it looks like I may have to rely on trial and error with the different router wifi channels instead. Sad 

Do you know of any similar kind of apps that would work on a Windows 10-based laptop which would show the same kind of information as regards to what channels I should avoid?  I know there was a tool for Windows XP but I don't remember the name and I doubt it'd still work on Win10 anyway...

Thanks.

DreadNought
Hooked

Just me again.

I installed wifi analyzer on my laptop and there were 2 channels that were clearly identified as being "the better ones" so I've switched to one of those.  It was indeed set to "auto" so that box is now unchecked.

My phone seems to have picked up the wifi straight away but I'll be keeping a close eye on it to see how long that lasts.

Thanks for your assistance so far.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

Best regards

Gavin

Holty84
Dabbler

@DreadNought @tinytaco @Strat @adamwalker @JulesM 

I had the same issue with my Plusnet router, the signal around my house was shocking, even after using a wifi signal checker, and adjusting channels. Just seemed so poor.

I have just taken delivery of a BT Home hub 6, and several hours in, I am so amazed at the results. Set up 5gz and 2.4ghz as how I did with Plusnet, but now I am getting much better signal. No drop outs.

If you do keep getting issues, I would strongly advise the BT homehub 6... got mine for about £18 from ebay.

Regards

DreadNought
Hooked

Thanks Holty84.
Since I've changed the router channel, the issue is far less of a problem with my phone. My laptop is unaffected at the moment. However I'll keep your advice in mind should this problem keep appearing in the future.
I'm wondering if this issue effects fibre customers as well as those like myself on ADSL connections?
It seems a bit much getting another router really. The original kit should do the job as advertised. 🤔
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@DreadNought 

The Plusnet ADSL product only provides a freebie Hub Zero, which has only got single band 2.4GHz wireless of dubious capability. Plusnet provide no guarantees on wireless speed due to local variables so you will not find any advertised wireless performance.

You can pick up a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site for about £20. These work on both ADSL and fibre. They are dual band with far better wireless capability. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DreadNought
Hooked

Baldrick1;

Those are great instructions!  I've saved them in an offline text format so I can still get to them if the worst happens.

All I can say for the moment is that shifting channels has certainly done alot for how reliable the wifi connection is as far as my phone goes.  I don't have any other devices that require wifi access and since my laptop never leaves the desk and is plugged in via Ethernet (which probably begs the question why get a laptop rather than a desktop in the first place), it may be that the standard Plus-Net router will suffice at least for the time being.

However, that being said, I have little patience for poor service and after having months-long issues with two nameless ISP's over the last few years, I will certainly be keeping a close eye on how things go in the future.  I'd rather have a slower connection that's reliable day in/day out than a faster one which only works when it feels like it.

Thank you everyone for your assistance.