Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archer VR900 v2

breakinpig
Rising Star

Archer VR900 v2

Hi all,

Just joined Plusnet and my Plusnet router appears to be stable for ethernet and wifi connections.

I then connected my Archer VR 900 v2 and, while it connects ok, the connection repeatedly drops for both wired and wireless connections. My phone still shows as having wifi, it just doesn't connect to the internet. If I turn the router off and back on again, it seems to work again (until the next time!)

Any ideas what's causing this? Could this be a settings issue?

Thanks in advance

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Archer VR900 v2

When you run speed tests over ethernet wired connection, do you see similar results from both the Plusnet Hub One and VR900 v2 ?

When the VR900 apparently loses connection to internet, what are the status of the 'DSL' and 'Internet' LEDs ?

0vr900.jpg

If there is a microfilter, into which your telephone and router are wired, you may wish to try the VR900 with a new microfilter plugged into the hidden engineers test socket found inside the BT master socket.

Last firmware update for the VR900 v2 is 20160721.  Is this version installed ?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/archer-vr900/v2/#Firmware 

I would retest the Hub One over a much longer period of time to see if it is losing broadband connection. (Light on on front of hub will change colour from usual 'blue')

Which ISP did you move from and do you have normal ADSL broadband or Superfast FTTC fibre?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
breakinpig
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply.

The speeds are similar, slightly faster on the VR900.
I’m using a microfilter plugged into the normal phone line. I didn’t know there was a hidden socket?!?
Not 100% sure on lights, it’s only dropped once today and seemed to recover itself
Tether app is saying that the firmware is up to date.
Moved from Sky and it’s just ASDL
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Does your master socket look like this (or newer style with curved edges) ?

https://youtu.be/9VQNJGhUNHM 

New ADSL connections have a 10 day training period to establish best line settings. ISPs will advise disconnections are normal during that period.  If problem persists after the 10 days and can be seen on both routers, then there may be a line fault.

Also, I recall Sky ADSL on their LLU exchanges may be uses SRA (Seamless Rate Adaption), so you may be less likely to witness 'disconnections' after the 10 day training period has elapsed, unlike with Openreach ADSL connection.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-