cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple (and sometime Android/win 10) wifi login issues (repeatably asking for password)

bensh
Hooked

Apple (and sometime Android/win 10) wifi login issues (repeatably asking for password)

@bobpullen I have noticed that there seems to be a firmware fix that might help with these issues and the general login issues that occur quite often.

I was wondering if it is possible to tell if my router is updated and/or if it can be updated?

I am currently rebooting the router once a week Sad to avoid these issues in the main but would like the fix as this is used by holiday guests as well and even with the reboot it still sometimes fails.

If it is not updated already I would like it updates but again due to holiday guests we need to time when the update happens so the router is not rebooted mid update (I am not at the router location, so can't control when guests might reboot it!).

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Apple (and sometime Android/win 10) wifi login issues (repeatably asking for password)

Hi @bensh

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your router. I can't see the firmware version of your router, but if you log in at 192.168.1.254 and scroll to the bottom, what does it say the version is? 

If it's one of these 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, 4.7.5.1.83.8.259, 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1, 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 then @bobpullen should be able to update the firmware to a new one we're in the process of deploying to everybody. I don't believe an update he puts through will reboot the router, but the update won't take effect until the router is rebooted.

There's no guarantee that'll fix the issue you're having though. I've had a look into your router and the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies seem to be merged into a single network name, so I'd start by 'splitting them'

I've included steps below if you're unsure how to

1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254
2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab
3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button
4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Wireless tab
5. Click on the 5GHz Wireless tab
6. Select No next to Sync with 2.4GHz
7. Change the name of the Wireless SSID to something different
8. Click the Apply button and wait for the change to be applied

In the list of available wireless networks on your devices, you should now see two wireless networks for your router. The 5GHz is generally faster and works better for devices that are closest to the router. 

I can make this change on your behalf, but I can see you've personalised the name of the wireless network, so if I put the change through, the system may likely rename the networks to the default. 

Let me know if you'd want me to or there's further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bensh
Hooked

Re: Apple (and sometime Android/win 10) wifi login issues (repeatably asking for password)

Thanks I will look at splitting them next time I am at the routers location. It is 2 counties away so next time will be at the end of July.

Will update then 

Thanks

Ben

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@bensh - it's currently running 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

I've pushed the latest update which will be applied the next time you reboot the device.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bensh
Hooked

Thanks