cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Time Machine on Synology NAS

maulz
Grafter

Re: Apple Time Machine on Synology NAS

i'm in the process of migrating from sky to plusnet  and i know i have problems with their router  and my nas. i have to reboot the router every  time the  nas disapears from my network about  a couple of times a month generally.

hoping when my plusnet is up and running and i can use  my new still in the box asus router thats all cured.

recommend the nas4free os if anyone is thinking of making a nas out of an old tower pc. 

newbie1
Hooked

@AnonymousI am using a ds110j with 5.2 but that is the latest update and a MBP with Yosemite.

@markhawkinLooks like I am going to have to change the router and see if it cures all ills and if it does let Plusnet know. 

@maulz I have an old tower PC so will try that software. I find the NAS a pain for streaming to my apple tv as it buffers a lot. I am told that is due to processing power in the NAS. 

maulz
Grafter

good luck with the nas4free. it has many features and is very configurable for all sorts of things from home to small office  use. i would recommend investing in the quietest fans etc  for your setup  and  then you wont notice it at all its just a box that sits quietly in the corner of my lounge. www.quietpc.com or similar is so helpfull for silent bits.

the network card is what does most of the work processor speed is not so important. graphics you dont use at all after setting up so onboard is fine. a quick google will get you to the minimum specs you need and the free downloads and help you may need  Smiley

newbie1
Hooked

I have found out I cannot use my netgear as a stand alone. Any tips on how to run it behind the hub as this is a new concept for me.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@newbie1

What model of Netgear ?

To use a router "behind" the Hub One it needs to have an Ethernet WAN port. Often routers have that if they can be used with "cable" broadband but some other routers have both an ADSL and WAN port (for example but no use in this case the Plusnet Hub One !).

If your Netgear has a WAN Ethernet port, set it to a different IP address range (say 192.168.0.xxx) and connect it to a "LAN" port on the Hub One (by an Ethernet cable). The Hub One will be on the 192.168.1.xxx range.

I used this setup with an old Draytek 2820 "behind" my Hub One for a while when I first had Plusnet fibre and it was fine for most purposes. My Time Machine disk (a WD My Cloud) worked fine with this setup.

I am the satisfied customer....