cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Mac won't join wireless network

BernieB

Apple Mac won't join wireless network

I have a Plusnet Hub One router and all other devices; laptops, smart phones, iPads etc join the wireless network without a hitch but my Apple MacBookAir is very reluctant to join and often won't. Does anyone have an ideas? I have tried static IP address.

6 REPLIES 6
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Apple Mac won't join wireless network

Hi @BernieB,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Does the Apple Mac have any similar issues when attempting to connect to other wireless networks? If so, this may be more of an issue with the Mac rather than with the router, but if not then my first recommendation would be split the wireless signal frequencies on your router. A guide has been written on how to do this by another user on our forums, which can be viewed here.

If you're still experiencing any issues then please let us know and also don't be afraid to ask other members of the community or look through past threads on the forums, as everyone is usually more than willing to help each other out on here. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

After splitting the wifi, try to connect only to the 2.4GHz SSID. More so if the Mac is more than a few metres away from the routers location.

You may also wish to make sure all other 5GHz enabled devices are also only using 2.4GHz if they too are more than a few metres away from the routers location.

From my own personal testing, the 5GHz range is shockingly bad on these quality routers!!Azn

BernieB

Hi, the Apple device joins other networks fine. I have re-booted my router and now my MacBookAir joins OK. Thank you for your help. Bernie 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Can you confirm if this is using the 2.4GHz or the 5Ghz?

Thanks;)

BernieB

Hi DS, it locks to the 5GHz network by preference. I can force it to the 2.4GHz network. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @BernieB

I'm glad to see your MacBook is now connected to the WiFi Thumbs_Up

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet