cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Iphone 6 cannot connect to wi fi on Plusnet router

Bookworm88

Apple Iphone 6 cannot connect to wi fi on Plusnet router

My Iphone 6 cannot connect to my home wi fi via my Plusnet router. I have been in touch with Apple and they have blamed the Plusnet router. 3 my mobile phone provider are also blaming my router. I think Plusnet have got get a solution to this problem pronto or the next step must be going to the ombudsman as we are not getting the service we are paying for.

9 REPLIES 9
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Apple Iphone 6 cannot connect to wi fi on Plusnet router

Hi @Bookworm88,

Looking at your account yesterday was the first time you've contacted us about this matter. I'm going to assume the advice given yesterday over the phone hasn't helped to resolve the problem you're having. 

So we can assist a little better can you give us an indication of your setup?  Is the iPhone the only device you have connected wirelessly or is there others, if so do these also experience problems? Any wired devices, and do these experience any issues? Or it it just your iPhone 6 that has a problem connecting?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Bookworm88

We have two Apple Ipads which connect to our Plusnet router and we have an Apple Iphone SE which also connects to this router but our Apple Iphone 6 just does not connect to this router. The Iphone 6 connects in coffee shops and relatives homes and in the 3 mobile phone providers shop. I chatted with James a senior Apple advisor and he could only suggest that the network PLUSNET-KQKTFK may not be unique enough for the iOS. He suggests working with PLUSNET to have the SSID changed  to something more unique and does not include PLUSNET in the name and ensure that the actual security connection is WPA2. This would force the iOS in the Apple Iphone 6 to reassess the network and see if it is secure enough.He suggested also changing the password.(p.s. I note from this Forum we are not the only people having this problem with an Apple iphone 6 having trouble connecting to a PLUSNET router)

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Bookworm88, thanks for your detailed response.

I'd recommend taking a look at the below thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Changing-SSID-on-Router-2704n/td-p/1412058

It's unfortunately not something that we're able to do from our side, with the Hub Zero.

Please let us know how you get along with it.

(Edited to ensure correct router information given)

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@Bookworm88 

Apple devices being difficult connecting to WiFi is not a problem unique to the Plusnet router.

The first thing you can do on the Apple devce is "forget" the network and reconnect.

You can also change the SSID yourself (obviously any devices you have that connect will also need to be reprogrammed to the new SSID) but I'm not optimistic it will be a long term fix.

I see you have other devices that connect adequately to the Plusnet router.

When I had a run of trouble with Apple devices (in that case with a Netgear router - before the days of "free" ISP devices) the "fix" was to give the Apple device a static IP address (if you want to try that Google "static IP address" and the version of iOS on your phone).

From my experience it seemed to be a response time problem between the device and the router.

You might find the best fix is to buy a different router. The latest BT Home Hub seems popular and can be cheap second hand.

If you buy one and try it, if it doesn't fix the problem you can sell it and be very little out of pocket.

I am the satisfied customer....
Bookworm88

Thank you for your reply. I had already connected to the Hub One but having put in the correct admin password and gone in there is no Wireless tab to click on only wi fi and nothing that says 5GHz Wireless. I will ring the Plusnet help desk tomorrow.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me @Bookworm88.

On checking the account it displays that you have a Hub Zero, and so I'd added in instructions for that particular router - please accept my apologies for the error.

The ones you need are below:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

Please let me know how you get on.

Bookworm88

Hi Oskarpapa, I have just tried to click on the thread you have just sent and came up with an Oops error message with code ID 5A9407AA.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting me know, @Bookworm88.

As I'd edited the original post (from One to Zero instructions), I had assumed that you meant that you have a Hub One, and not a Zero. (Reading glasses are out of their case now!)

With regards the link - I'm guessing that it's helpfully missed a character - give this one a go.

Once through the link, click 'I have a 2704n router' and then navigate down to 'How do i change my Wi-Fi settings' where you'll find a video guide on what you need to do.

Thanks,

OP