Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else using: TP-Link AC2100 VR600 v3

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Anyone else using: TP-Link AC2100 VR600 v3

About 6 weeks ago I believed my Hub One router had failed because the 5Ghz Wifi stopped working. (it seems that's an old known issue -it wasn't known to me or I wouldn't have bought a new router!- being worked by support team... see Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue  )

I replaced it with a TP-Link VR600 v3 and initially it seemed to work very well, certainly the WiFi and LAN seem much faster, VDSL speed was about the same.  However over the 6 weeks it's been running it looks like the Digital Line Management software at Openreach has been lowering the max line speed a couple of times a week and my FTTC download speeds have dropped from about 17Mb to around 7Mb, just above my minimum speed guarantee. My line is about 1.6km from the cabinet.

I tried to ensure the problem wasn't to do with my network connections. I don't have any internal phone cabling and router is plugged into master socket on a 0.5m cable, I have changed modem cables and replaced the NTE5C filter faceplate, error rates have dropped to more or less 0 and SNR has significantly improved (up from 7/8 to around 15/16 dB,) but download speed seems to be stuck at 7Mb.

I appear to be connected to an ECI Fibre cabinet, as far as I can tell, if that makes any difference.

Anyone else using this Modem Router on PlusNet FTTC? 

Anyone else had problems with their NTE5C mk4 faceplate picking up a lot of signal noise rather than filtering it out?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Anyone else using: TP-Link AC2100 VR600 v3

@Ian06 

There have been reports in the past that these new design clip on faceplates can introduce problems due to dodgy connections. Sometimes it's due to the front not clipping on fully. This can be caused by the backplate being screwed down tight on to a surface that is not dead flat, distorting the back box.

The fact that your SNR has increased suggests that you have fixed the problem. However what needs to happen now is for the DLM to kick in and automatically reduce your SNR, which will lift your speed. Unfortunately if the line has been banded it will need Plusnet intervention to request a DLM reset. Your best bet is to monitor it for a few days to see if it starts improving.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Anyone else using: TP-Link AC2100 VR600 v3

Yes I removed the faceplate filter and replaced it with a corded adsl vdsl filter  for VDSL and phone plugged into the test socket.  That seemed to improve the SNR and error rates.

I'll contact PN support next week to see if they can do anything to reset the DLM,  it's been in this state for a week now