cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody using tp link vr600 modem router? Really struggling

FIXED
Sugarspun

Anybody using tp link vr600 modem router? Really struggling

So I'm using this router and it's driving me insane. The stats going into the router from the wall socket are great, stable 75mbps but all I get from a wired connection coming out of router at best is 40mbps and at worst 9mbps. I just can't understand what's causing it. Have tried everything including replacing router and I'm convinced it's either something in the firmware or my settings. Is anybody else using this router? Anybody else had any problems?
8 REPLIES 8
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Anybody using tp link vr600 modem router? Really struggling

Hmm, I've been Google searching the issue with no success.

Have you tried a different type of router to determine if it's actually the router causing the problem?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fix

If it works with another modem & you have replaced the router but are still having the same issue & misconfiguration is ruled out, then it could well be that the routers modem chipset {Broadcom BCM63268} just isn't suitable for your line. I had the TP-Link VR900 {Broadcom BCM63168} & was getting frequent disconnections while it seemed stable for others, possibly related to the incompatibility of the type of cabinet your connected to (see FTTC Fibre Cabinets), mine is a newer Huawei 288 cabinet (Broadcom chipset) while some older are ECI cabinets that have Lantiq chipsets.

I now have a TP-Link VR2600 (Broadcom BCM63268) which after some trepidation following my previous experience (i took a gamble since this has an updated Broadcom chipset) has proven to be rock solid. Im no expert on the tech inside cabinets & some say the difference between matching cabinet chipsets with modem chipsets is negligible but its a possibility.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the BCM63168 and BCM63268 are very similar and of the same generation, the 268 might have a few more options for doing things like line bonding, which won't make any difference if the device it's in doesn't support that.

Sugarspun

Purchased a Asus ac68u and it's all working perfectly. Very strange regarding the tp link. Thanks for the advice
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Which is unfortunate, because the Asus DSL models have notoriously bad modems.

shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thats dependent on different factors like whether or not G.INP is enabled & if the connection is on interleave or fastpath, matching the chipset of the routers modem to that of your cabinet appears to hold up when reading through this thread Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@ejs wrote:

Which is unfortunate, because the Asus DSL models have notoriously bad modems.

Not sure I agree (although granted they don't use a Broadcom chipset) - the real problem IMO is that many users try to 'tweak' the DSL settings away from default/disabled values (the DSL-AC68U offers the ability to do this in spades), and the modem ends up 'fighting' BTOR's DLM system, making the DSL connection appear unstable.

Sugarspun

So I've got back in tonight from work and the problem has reappeared?? Speedtest coming back 14Mbps. What the hell is causing this? That's 3 different routers I've tried, tests run by plusnet and bt engineer visit and they can't find any problems with the line. It's really annoying me now. Any suggestions?Huh