cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Fire Stick control

mcminnad

Amazon Fire Stick control

I've recently got an Amazon Fire Stick for streaming video to my TV.  Streaming is working just fine, from Amazon, iPlayer etc.  But when I try to use the android remote app on my phone to control the device it can't find the stick on my local network.  If I take the device and my phone into the office on the office wireless network it all just works.  So I'm presuming it's a router config issue?

I've got a TG582 with no USB port, running 8.4.4.J.  uPnP is enabled, and detection/control/streaming stuff between devices on my home network just works by AirPlay, DLNA etc.  Router, stick and phone reboots make no difference.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
jono892
Hooked

Re: Amazon Fire Stick control

Hi

It looks to me that your office network is different to your TV connection.

to use the phone app I think that it needs to be set up to the network you're firestick is on.

Example 'I use a different router so I can have 2 different WI-Fi networks. Wi-Fi A is connected to a firestick in living room. Wi-Fi B is connected to a different firestick in bedroom.

Go to your firestick and settings, system to network and note it down..

Your phone app which I'm assuming is the fire Tv app says connect this device to the same network as your Fire TV device.

The app has the details of your office network so will connect to that no problem.

So I again assume you will have to input your details from where your TV is..

Not so good at explaining things..More a do-er really.

Hope this helps

jono892
Hooked

hi,

I think that your app is only connected to your office network.

When you connect your firestick to your TV you need to check which network it is on.

Settings-System-network

Then go to phone and WiFi and connect to that network. Then go to your app and connect.

So basically make sure you are on the same wifi network...phone and firestick

jono892
Hooked

hi,

I think that your app is only connected to your office network.

When you connect your firestick to your TV you need to check which network it is on.

Settings-System-network

Then go to phone and WiFi and connect to that network. Then go to your app and connect.

So basically make sure you are on the same wifi network...phone and firestick

You may have 2 replies to this as the 1st didn't show up for me.

good luck

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

According to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201640980 you need multicast support enabled on the router. The probelm might be down to the igmpsnooping setting on the TG582n, although when wrong, it usually affects DLNA as well.

Try the Telnet eth bridge igmpsnooping config command and if it returns 'state=enabled' then disable it with eth bridge igmpsnooping config brname=bridge state=disabled

See here http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html under the DLNA server section...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mcminnad

Thanks.  It didn't work at home when I first tried. When I took it into the office to test I removed my home network from its config, connected it to the office wifi, and it worked.  I've now brought it back home, removed the office wifi config and reconfigured it for my home network again.  Streaming is working as before, but alas no remote from my phone still.  Think I've got it configured right.

mcminnad

Interesting, this is the sort of thing I was wondering about.  I've been into the telnet interface, and snooping was enabled.  Disabling it and saving it config hasn't helped though, unfortunately.

Thinking further about it, it's slightly more complicated, since I also have another router in the system.  The TG582n wireless had hopeless range, so I have it wired to another router with rather more competent wifi.  The TG582n wireless is disabled, but it runs DHCP, uPnP etc.  The other router is only used to connect wireless devices into the network, and as much functionality as I can is disabled on it.  The Fire Stick and the phone are both connected to the wireless interface of this router.  My understanding is that IGMP snooping only (potentially) blocks multicast between wired and wireless interfaces on the router, so this shouldn't affect this particular case, I think?  The other router is an Edimax BR6574, which has no mention of multicast or IGMP anywhere on the management interface.  Maybe I should fire up Wireshark and see if I can see any multicast coming past...

mcminnad

Okay, gave in and had a rummage through traffic with Wireshark.  I can see an MDNS query going out when I open the app on a laptop connected to the same wireless AP, and no replies.  I can also see Android sending a separate Chromecast MDNS query, and multicast announcements from my Chromecast in response.  That points to the Fire Stick, but then why does it work in the office...?