Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to provided routers

ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Alternatives to provided routers

@longedge wrote:

Thanks for that link. Covers pretty much everything I wanted to know. I suppose that Wi-Fi functionality depends very much on local conditions but presumably better than the Hub One.

FWIW - I've recently upgraded to Full Fibre at 500mb/s. So I wanted to make sure that my home network could take advantage of the new increase in speed. And I've gone down the router, Access Point (AP), mesh, etc. rabbit holes. And, as mentioned elsewhere, a lot of what is good for one home network may not be as good for another home network. You also have to take into consideration the devices in your home. For example, if all devices use the 2.4gHz band, then the 5 and newer 6 gHz bands won't give you any advantage (unless we're talking AP<->router or mesh connections).

Also, for my home network, I've found the Hub Two that Plusnet provide with the Full Fibre connection is perfectly adequate for my home network. I'm seeing speeds on 2-300+ mb/s on my 5gHz devices throughout my house. I'm not sure if this can be tweaked further? But it certainly exceeds the 30 mb/s line speed I had for FTTC. The only but I'd add is that the Hub Two isn't WiFi 6/6E compatible. So, if you want to achieve 6/6E speeds/support then you'll need to add an AP, or change the router. Fortunately, I have a WiFi 6 AP already. Unfortunately, I don't have any WiFi 6/6E compatible devices (lol).

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I've just been reminded of another drawback with the Hub One, it doesn't hold sync as well as the Fritz!Box did. I'm on a long line (about 730metres) and I was seeing re-syncs once or twice a month. The Hub One has dropped twice since yesterday 🙄

mavison
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Certainly my FriszBox 7530 has been very stable, giving a solid 36 mb/s on 600m line, and from installation the first re-sync was after over 160 days! I think in 12 months, apart from re-syncs after a new version of the software, it has only re-synced twice. Way better than my previous ASUS.

The included mesh WiFi has also been solid, and has improved laprop backup times to my NAS. It also enables a VPN direct to the router, so on occasion in an emergency I have connected to the FritzBox remotely, asked it to WakeUp my NAS, and accesses my NAS data remotely - and all securely! It also provides VOIP and DECT connections also work.