cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Routers or Modems

VeryRisky

Alternative Routers or Modems

I have three shops with Plusnet broadband and another to be added soon.   Two are currently on ADSL and one on FTTC.   I need to get a more professional router setup where I can segregate the card machine from the LAN and set up a separate customer Wifi.

Now I have use mikrotik routers at home and these will allow me to much of the above but I would still need to get something to act as an ADSL modem and I'm unsure if the plusnet routers do this.   I currently have a plusnet Hub One and two  Techicolour  TG58-2n.  

Alternativcely is there another afordable ADSL router with decent security and configuration I can use? (and preferably doesn't cost a heap when multiplied by four!)

Can anyone advise on this?

Maby thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Alternative Routers or Modems

@VeryRisky  Welcome to the forum.

I have no experience of how you would separate a card machine from a LAN at the router. I assumed that this would be a network setting. 

If you want an open network for customers and don't want to spend a lot of money then get a BT BUSINESS Smarthub 6 off an auction site. The residential version doesn't have this capability. You will find setting instructions pinned at the top of this router board. They work on both ADSL and VDSL lines

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You'd use VLAN's and possibly multiple LAN subnets to separate the Card machine and Guest wifi

@VeryRisky If you've already got the Microtiks and they'll do what you want then you could use the Netgear DM200 as a modem, or even pick up some BT HG612 modems on ebay ( I think they'll do ADSL as well as VDSL but not sure ).

As a single replacement box you probably would be looking at somethink like the Draytek 2762 for the VLAN and multiple LAN subnet facilities https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/soho/vigor-2762-series-adsl-vdsl-router#specifications . Not too expensive https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/35022-draytek-v2762n-vc/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@VeryRisky 

The Draytek 28xx range will do what you want.

For ADSL you can get a second hand 2820 very cheaply. The VDSL (fibre) models in that range are similar to set up but rather more expensive.

If you have set up a Microtik I don't think you will have problems getting a Draytek to work.

I am the satisfied customer....
VeryRisky

I found an old 2820 in the cupboard!   Also a 2710.   Both without Wifi, though.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@VeryRisky The 2820 would be usable with a device with WiFi to create a guest network (allocate each port to a different VLAN) and another port on a seperate VLAN could do "clean" internet for your card machine.

I'm not sure the 2710 supports VLANS so may not be much use in this application.

I am the satisfied customer....
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@VeryRisky 

Even if unsuitable for anything else the 'freebie' Plusnet hubs can be configured as Wireless Access Points.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'