Did you mean: 

Advice on new router and/or modem

carlosbband

Advice on new router and/or modem

Hi,

I have Plusnet fibre, running on:

BT Openreach  - Huawei EchoLife HG612 / FTTC VDSL NTE

Technicolor TG582n

The WiFi is atrocious and the connection keeps dropping - even when very close to the router. I want to upgrade to the best solution that £300 max can buy. I am keen on buying my own kit as I have never had a good experience with Plusnet kit. I need a fast and stable connection for multiple devices in an old house with thick-ish walls.  I am considering a mesh WiFi solution. Advice please. Many thanks, Carlos

6 REPLIES 6
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Advice on new router and/or modem

Have a look at the Unifi Dream Machine by Ubiquiti.   I don't have one, but I do have the earlier USG, CloudKey Controller 2, and 4 access points - great kit that just works. If I were to upgrade my kit I'd go for the Pro version (it can be rack-mounted). You can add more access points if required, and the handover between them is seamless. I cover a large part-stone house, garden office, and 2 acres with 4 access points, and provide customer WiFi using a voucher system. It is at the very top of your price range, but shopping around should find it for about £300.

carlosbband

Thanks, would that replace the router and the Openreach modem or just the router?
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

That would just replace the router.

carlosbband

Thank you.
Any other suggestions from anyone else please? Would like to consider a few options.

davel8r
Grafter
Fixes: 3

I've been with Plusnet for just over a week now and am running the HG612 (unlocked) with an ASUS RT-AC86U. It's rock solid and the Asus router gives fantastic coverage around the house. Just needed to make sure that the router is in the middle of the house for best coverage. Fortunately we have a tall bookcase that it can sit on 🙂