cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on alternative to Hub One as an Access Point

bill16
Dabbler

Advice on alternative to Hub One as an Access Point

I have Unlimited Fibre Extra and the speeds are pretty good albeit I haven't done the full speed tests connected to the router.

I have been considering whether we are making the best of the connection throughout the house - we're not having issues as such but given that we pay for the fast connection I feel we should use it properly!

The first Hub One router is in the loft (where the main phone line enters) and I have an ethernet cable running down the side of the house to a second Hub One in the lounge - I used the guidance on these forums to set it up as an Access Point. It's only used for wireless and mainly used by the TV and odd mobile devices nearby - the laptop in the kitchen and the PC in the study both prefer the signal from the loft.

I have been looking at various options to improve access in different rooms - mesh wifi, powerline, ethernet etc - but can see that there are pros and cons of them all. Of course I know that ethernet is the best option but can't quite work out cable routing!

I am wondering whether I can improve the signal downstairs by changing the makeshift Access point of the Hub One to a dedicated Access point. My question is would a dedicated Access point be better than the Hub One, and if so does anyone have any recommendations? I also wondered whether a range extender into one or both of the other downstairs room, running from the Access Point, would be useful instead or as well. I don't mind spending a bit of money but am reluctant to splash out £150 on mesh wifi when there may be other options. 

4 REPLIES 4
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Advice on alternative to Hub One as an Access Point

As the thing most likely to require high and sustained data rates I would consider making the TV a wired connection (use an Ethernet port on the downstairs Hub One.

You could change the downstairs Hub One for something else but unless you go for a mesh system I'm not convinced how much benefit there would be.

The next candidate for a wired connection would be a static PC in the study (particularly if that has a role as a media server).

I am the satisfied customer....
Owain_2
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

As you've got an ethernet cable between both hubs, you can run further ethernet cables from the downstairs hub to devices if you want, as it will work as an ethernet switch.

bill16
Dabbler

@markhawkin Thank you. There's not really any wireless competition for the connection the TV uses, so I'm not sure that a wired connection would make much difference. I'd love to wire the static PC but it would involved drilling through external walls to get the cable in/out (not completed discounted yet!).

bill16
Dabbler

@Owain_2 Thank you- unfortunately the routing of the cables would be a bit tricky but it's not been entirely discounted yet.