cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acer C933 Chromebook won't connect to Plusnet Hub One router

mikewhodges
Hooked

Acer C933 Chromebook won't connect to Plusnet Hub One router

I have just acquired an Acer C933 Chromebook, but it won't connect to my home Wifi.  After I enter the key it returns an error that says Failed to connect - unknown error.   It connects to my wireless network at work and works perfectly.  It will also connect to the old pre-Fibre Plusnet router that I still have (It's not in use, I just turned it on to see if the Chromebook would connect to it).  I have split the 2.4gHz and 5gHz bands and it won't connect to either of them.  I believe the router firmware is on the latest release (I've checked for an available update and found none, but I'm not with the router so can't confirm which version I currently have. I've done the obvious things like restarting the router.

I have seen in previous posts that this is a router problem.  This would fit with my other experiences: SONOS speakers that suddenly drop off the Wi-Fi and then reconnect and a Windows laptop that keeps connecting and saying there is no Internet access, when other devices are already using the Internet.

Can I resolve this problem and get a replacement router via this forum, or do I need to contact the Help Desk and raise a ticket?

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Acer C933 Chromebook won't connect to Plusnet Hub One router

Are there any nonalphanumeric characters in either the SSID and/or the password ? and are they quite long ? Some devices don't like this

If so try removing the characters and/or shortening them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikewhodges
Hooked

Sorry for the delay in getting back. No, I don’t think this is the issue. Neither SSID nor the key contain special characters and both a 8 characters long.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mikewhodges
Hooked

Thanks for moving this to a more appropriate place.

In a newer development, I have discovered that the chrome book will sometimes appear to connect to the WiFi, but claims there is no internet connection. I have an HP Windows 10 laptop which has started demonstrating the same behaviour, but intermittently. This happens even when other devices, such as SONOS and iPhones are successfully using the internet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are both the Chromebook and W10 laptop using the 5ghz network ? and are the other devices which are ok , using the 2.4ghz ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikewhodges
Hooked

Unfortunately it’s a bit more complicated than that: our iPhones and iPad will connect to either band, the Laptop only sees the 2.4 band (due to the limited network card) and the Chromebook won’t connect satisfactorily to either.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @mikewhodges 

I've ordered a new router for you now, let us know how it goes once you've received it Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Unfortunately it’s a bit more complicated than that: our iPhones and iPad will connect to either band, the Laptop only sees the 2.4 band (due to the limited network card) and the Chromebook won’t connect satisfactorily to either.

Thanks, I was wondering if it was the problem being discussed here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363/page/103 but it doesn't sound like it.

lets see if the router that @Gandalf has ordered sorts the problem.