Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing a USB (FAT 32) with a Hub One Router

bpascua
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Accessing a USB (FAT 32) with a Hub One Router

Hello All.

I was seeing if I could avoid replacing my NAS drive which I assume is dying. I connected a USB (64G) formatted with FAT32 to the rear of the router. I can see it showing as "Ultra (Rev: 1.00)" in the router screen. But I cant seem to connect to it on my mac. I assumed I had to map a share to it using smb -

smb://192.168.1.254/Ultra (Rev: 1.00)

Then I get asked for credentials which I assume is Admin/Router Password . But I always get a  "there was a problem connecting to the server on 192.168.1.254"

Any ideas?

thanks

Brian

4 REPLIES 4
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Accessing a USB (FAT 32) with a Hub One Router

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@bpascua 

The general consensus is that the use of the USB facility as storage isn't great. 

Have a read of:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Probably-an-old-chestnut-Connecting-to-Plusnet-Hub-One-USB-p...

What is your current NAS and what makes you think it is dying ?

With Apple devices, a NAS that supports Time Machine is attractive.

EDIT:

Mildly heavy going but this explains the Apple perspective on SMB.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8518715

I am the satisfied customer....
bpascua
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I have a mybooklive from WD. It plugs into the router (hub one) and uses DLNA I believe. Really I just have one share on there that I store stuff on. The Mybooklive appears under the shared section in finder (on my imac and macbook) The problem is when I select the share I am sometimes waiting 60 seconds to a listing, copying or even selecting files is painfully slow.

It seems slow even when I connect my laptop to the router via an ethernet cable and copy files. So I was considering getting rid of it - not sure if I can do anything at the router end to improve this?

thanks

Brian

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

In the sense that "it has a fault" I don't believe your MyBook Live is "broken".

My guess is that you have updated your OS X version on the two computers and it is no longer fully compatible.

I also don't think that:

1) A USB memory stick in the Hub One will be better (my suspicion is that it will be worse)

2) A new router will fix the problem

I've a bit of a collection of both computers and NAS drives and (of relevance to this) a MacBook and a Mac Mini.

I suggest

1) give the MyBook Live a static IP address (see this for how https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/How-to-set-fixed-IP-address-when-no-DHCP-option-on-the-host/... )

2) In finder > Go > Connect to server 

connect to it as smb://192.168.1.xxx

Where xxx is the static IP address

Then see how you get on.

I am the satisfied customer....