cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access control list - deny all and allow by mac address only - Plusnet Hub One

d-j-h

Access control list - deny all and allow by mac address only - Plusnet Hub One

Hello, I have just received a PlusNet Hub One to replace my Netgear router as I am upgrading to fibre. I have always used access control lists to specify which devices are permitted wireless access, by their mac addresses. I have spoken with PlusNet tech and they tell me that I can do this with the Hub One but I cannot find how to enable it. I can see how you can control access by time, but not how you can allow access to specified devices only and by default deny access to all others. Can anyone please point me in the right direction. Many thanks.. d-j-h

5 REPLIES 5
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Access control list - deny all and allow by mac address only - Plusnet Hub One

I've never seen an option in the Hub 1 to do this but I stand to be corrected.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Access control list - deny all and allow by mac address only - Plusnet Hub One

Why not simply not give the wireless password to devices you don't want to access the wireless?

d-j-h

Because I don't know who they are. I use an access control list to secure my wireless network. By restricting access to only specific device's mac addresses even if an unknown someone was able to discover the password they would still not be able to connect. It is not the people and devices that I am aware of that I wish to block. Thanks for your suggestion though.

I conclude that the Hub One doesn't do what I want and will likely buy a DSL modem and reinstall my old router.

Thanks for your replies.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Access control based on MAC addresses does not add much security though. All MAC addresses in the wireless network are visible to anyone monitoring the network, even without the wireless password. And then if someone really wanted to connect, if they had the wireless password, they could change their MAC address to one of the allowed ones they'd spotted.

d-j-h

Sure, but it is another layer and makes mine that much more difficult than the next. If someone wants to get in that badly I appreciate that they will find a way - there is always the front door. I was told that the router supported acl and was only trying to replace what I have already. Thanks for your thoughts.