Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RT-AX88U Settings

jackwoodhead
Hooked

ASUS RT-AX88U Settings

Hi all,

Joined Plusnet last week and sourced the ASUS router to use. It will not get the internet over WAN. I followed some of the settings from similar ASUS posts and couldn't get it to work (red light on internet connection).

I did follow one bit of advice I saw, upgrade the ASUS firmware and restart both. This was then working for 24 hours! I subsequently had to switch off both to move and setup my living room (just moved to UK), now I can't for the life of me get it to work again. Have tried the firmware trick and various DNS settings but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Should I send this router back and get a simpler one? Incredibly frustrating!

Thank you all in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: ASUS RT-AX88U Settings

@jackwoodhead  Welcome to the forum.

This Asus device is a router so needs a modem to work on your Plusnet service. You talk about restarting two devices but don't tell us what the second device is. Is it a Plusnet Hub?

If so these Hubs cannot be set up in modem only mode so all you can do is set your Asus device in Access Point mode. Alternatively go onto the likes of EBay and buy a Huawei HG612 Model 3B which is a pure modem and use that instead of the Plusnet Hub.

To be honest I think that having a single expensive all singing all dancing WiFi router has had its day and money is better invested in a combined VDSL modem router that comes complete with Mesh WiFi Extenders.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jackwoodhead
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1,

So sorry for late reply. Yes second device is a Plusnet hub. I think I'm going to return this product to be honest, but maybe if I outlay the features I want with my broadband you could suggest the ideal setup?

I basically want to hard wire as many devices as possible via ethernet than WiFi (that's why 8 ports on this one was attractive), I want to be able to have the WiFi switch off on a timer, eg no WiFi between 10pm and 7am, not disable access but actually have it off. Also I wanted to put everything in my house that connects to the internet behind a VPN. That's why I thought a WiFi router that could do all those things but just get the internet from a sperate modern (Plusnet Hub) would just work. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to...

Many thanks in advance for any ideas or help.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@jackwoodhead  your requirement for lots of hardwired ports is probably best solved by using a simple gigabit switch , something like this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-... connected to a router lan port. You can then look at cheaper modem/ routers with the more normal 4 lan ports. Your other main requirements for a router with a vpn client iand scheduled wifi are then the deciding criteria . 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jackwoodhead
Hooked

Thanks MisterW, I guess the ASUS did fit the bill but also had the extra slots though I take your point.

Is it right that I shouldn't even look at plain WiFi routers without getting an extra DSL modem (Plusnet Hub can't do this role?) and I should get a WiFi Router with Modem built in?

If yes to abide, do you think either of these would fit the bill and work with Plusnet?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/...

NETGEAR D7800-100UKS Nighthawk AC2600 Dual Band 11 AC (MU-MIMO Wifi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, You View, Talk Talk, EE, Plusnet Fibre) (Amazon Echo Enabled) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01560JKAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nNZcEbT76JBW2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jackwoodhead  yes, a wifi router will not work without a separate modem,. 

Both of those you suggest are vdsl capable modem/ routers and should work fine with Plusnet.

Whether they have vpn client and wifi scheduling support I dont know. The asus spec seems to suggest it has vpn client support but I cant find anything in the manual about setting it up. The netgear manual does mention wifi scheduling but again it doesnt make clear whether a vpn client is supported.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jackwoodhead
Hooked

Thanks MisterW, as a novice in these things, are you generally better in getting a Modem Router as opposed to a separate modem and dedicated Router, just wondering if the former would be much slower as a single device is performing two jobs.... I'm not gaming, the most intensive activity would be streaming with others browsing and downloading.... Thanks so much for the help, the Asus Modem Router looks promising if it's not too detrimental in performance to have everything go through a single device
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The advantage of a combined unit is that you only have one box, whereas with separate units you have two and cables between etc. As regards performance, yes, some lower priced combined units will have limitations but decent ones you will unlikely notice any difference. With separate units, theres a limited availability of vdsl modems, only the Draytek 130 and the Netgear dm200 come to mind , apart from the ubiquitous used Bt modems from ebay. All the other ones are actually routers which can be switched to modem only(bridge) mode.

Having said that.you say you have a requirement for the router to make a vpn connection that can be used by other connected devices, as opposed to each device making it's own vpn connection? That facility is not that common on modem/ routers, it's much more common on routers, particularly those based on the dd_wrt and similar software.