Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RT-AC68U setup: Fibre (FTTC)

FIXED
Feejuk

ASUS RT-AC68U setup: Fibre (FTTC)

Hi all,

I recently moved to the UK and signed up to the Plusnet Fibre Extra Broadband package (which is fibre-to-the-cabinet).

I brought with me my trusty ASUS RT-AC68U, which used to pull a internet connection straight from my wall without any modem. However, I’ve had no such luck here getting an internet connection. What am I missing?

After some searching here, I saw that it wasn’t possible to use the ASUS RT-AC68U if you had an ADSL connection, but I have FTTC, so what would the issue be?

I would be grateful for any guidance to get the ASUS RT-AC68U pulling the connection without the need of the Plusnet Hub One.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: ASUS RT-AC68U setup: Fibre (FTTC)

You will need a modem, or a router in bridge mode to be able to use that router.

Feejuk

Hi Mustrum, can you explain to me why? Since I have recently used this router as the sole device for pulling my fibre connection for the past 3 years. What has changed?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Fix

@Feejuk  your broadband service is now delivered over your telephone line and need modem to deliver the service - or router with a modem such as the one PN would provide. Apart from anything else the connector types will be wrong.

The router you have has no modem, and would have connected to an ethernet connection - I have no idea where you were before or how your broadband was provided.