cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS DSL-AC68U - timeout waiting for PADO packets

leisurewearer
Hooked

ASUS DSL-AC68U - timeout waiting for PADO packets

It seems I'm not the only one to be getting the "timeout waiting for PADO packets" issue!

I'd been using my ASUS DSL-AC68U since about June 2017 with no issues and then in August it started playing up. The issue was intermittent but of late seems to be constant. As soon as I swap back to the Plusnet Hub I'm able to authenticate.

I spoke to Plusnet support last night (27-09-17) as was told that they'd never heard of the error and I would need to speak to ASUS.  I referred them to these forums but was told the comments were purely speculation.

Based on the fact that I didn't experience any issues until Aug, it suggests something has changed on the Plusnet/BT side (I have swapped out my DSL-AC68U for a brand new device but experience the same issue).

Anyone else continuing to experience problems with this modem-router?

12 REPLIES 12
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U - timeout waiting for PADO packets

Moderator's note:

Duplicate post released from Spam Filter to Fibre Broadband and then removed as cross-posted here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

It's very unlikely to be a router issue. The error message indicates that the connection to the green cab is working fine, but there is no connection downstream of the cab.

There a quite a number of possible causes, ranging from equipment failure on the BTW network to wrongly configured ports in the cab.

It is also possible to see this issue if the connection was dropped suddenly and the login didn't clear down properly. However this should have cleared down and the connection should be working again by now.
Bottom line is Plusnet need to log this with their suppliers.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@mikelahey wrote:
It's very unlikely to be a router issue.

But the Plusnet Hub works fine, so surely it must be a problem with the Asus?

mikelahey
Pro

Didn't catch that but if the post when I skimmed over it. So disregard what I wrote before. Looks like a router issue.
leisurewearer
Hooked

I would suggest something has changed on the Plusnet/BT side. I replaced the ASUS with a brand new unit and get the same problem. Prior to August it worked fine.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Even if Plusnet or BTWholesale or Openreach have changed something, if other modem/routers still work while the Asus doesn't, the problem is still the Asus.

mikelahey
Pro

I don't think Plusnet are able to change any settings which could affect this, but it may be that DLM has applied some settings that are not 100% implemented correctly in the modem firmware. e.g. G.INP / vectoring

You could try updating the router to the latest firmware and see if this improves things.

There is a very long (158 pages thread) on the Overclockers forum about issues with the modem on this router. For example one poster could only establish a connection if G.INP was disabled otherwise the he couldn't establish a PPP session. You could try disabling this in the router settings to see if it changes anything. 

His summary of the modem built into the router, in post #3141, is not very flattering. 

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/anyone-using-an-asus-dsl-ac68u.18606945/page-158

Its also worth noting that according to Kitz forum the Plusnet hub one doesn't support G.INP on the upstream so this could be the difference but without seeing the line stats I can't say for sure.

Could you post the stats, SNR / Attenuation / errors etc... It would be interesting to compare the stats from the hub one with the stats from the AC68U to see if there are any differences that could account for the issue.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I think the BT Home Hub 5A has finally been given a firmware upgrade so that it does now support G.INP on the upstream, and the Plusnet Hub One should be the same in that regard.

If the Asus DSL-AC68U's modem doesn't work properly with things like G.INP, it'd probably be better not to use it, perhaps get a VDSL2 modem or a cheap modem/router that can function as a bridged modem, and only use the Asus as a wireless router.

mikelahey
Pro

That's basically what the thread on Overclockers recommended.

mikelahey
Pro

You may also want to compare you're settings with the ones here:

http://www.paul-lee.co.uk/how-to/asus-dsl-ac68u-configuration-settings-for-bt-infinity/

The only difference between the BT and PN Setup should be the username and password.

There is also another thread on Kitz about issues with the modem on this router, apparently it works absolutely fine on some lines but really struggles on others.

See:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14399.300

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4394157-anyone-have-an-asus-dsl-ac68u-working-happily-bt-infi...

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Also worth taking a look here for issues relating to the DSL-AC68U's support (or currently lack of it) for G.INP; but I have to say that otherwise this router has worked very well for me on both ADSL and VDSL connections. I think the key is having it set up correctly; you may care to look at this post for my own VDSL settings.

drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Long time no post! I’m also getting this error on RT-N66U router. Internet has been rock solid however in last few weeks I’ve sometimes been getting this error and having to manually go in and reconnect. Usually it’s fine after that but does sometimes happen a few times. I’m on FTTP but assuming it’s all related to the same issue somewhere!

Has anyone found a fix/solution/root cause yet?