Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS DSL-AC68U on Plusnet FTTC - basic

wanstronian
Hooked

ASUS DSL-AC68U on Plusnet FTTC - basic

Hi folks,

My old Billion router is on its last legs and I have an ASUS DSL-AC68U that I bought a while ago and never used. I'd like to use it as the DSL modem but I can't get it to connect to the internet.

All I've done so far is connect the wall socket to the DSL port (and ethernet into port 1) and gone through the setup. Selected UK and Plusnet Fibre. I've verified that my username and password are correct.

But when setup is complete it says it's not connected to the internet.

Am I doing something stupid? At this point I'm not trying to fine-tune the performance - I just want a connection.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U on Plusnet FTTC - basic

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markuswelby
Rising Star

I've just found this:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Settings-for-ASUS-DSL-AC68-replacing-OpenReach-modem-a... 

Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@wanstronian 

I strongly suggest you do not use the Asus DSL-AC68U it has the worst VDSL modem chip ever and is likely to give you endless problems, such as poor speeds, your line getting banded and so on. Just Google it to see the problems it causes.

It is entirely up to you if you want to use it of course.😁

markuswelby
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@wanstronian 

I strongly suggest you do not use the Asus DSL-AC68U ...

Just Google it to see the problems it causes.

Please don't take offence, could you give some examples, from your google results?

I've googled it, and from where I sit, I can't find anything so far that would indicate that (bearing in mind, not everyone gets the same googles results anymore, it's targeted on what you have searched for before, what you have been doing online, what your ip address is and many other factors). You can no longer say, "search for it on google and it will be top of the list." It don't work like that anymore. 

In fact, I've only found people that have praised them. 

However, it's allways possible google is only showing 'me' the good things about them. 🙂

If I search google in work for something, I get different results than searching at home or on my phone.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have a DSL-AC68U but couldn't get it to hold a connection for any length of time.

It's currently usefully employed as a WiFi extender.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
markuswelby
Rising Star

@Strat When I googled "ASUS DSL-AC68U Strat" it only showed me result of you helping others with the ASUS DSL-AC68U 🙂

no mention of problems with it. 🙂

Maybe Big Brother Google is just looking to profit from sales on this beast, no matter what 🤔 

Anyway, as I said, for example, you can no longer say "search for it on Google, and will show up" or  "search for it on Google, and will be top of the list". It don't work like that anymore.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@markuswelby  Well I googled "Asus DSL-AC68U Failure" and from this very forum this came up.......

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Connection-issues-with-ASUS-DSL-AC68U/td-p/1664996 

I think you have to use some common sense with google searches I cant quite see the point of searching for "ASUS DSL-AC68U Strat" which would be very restricted.

I don't know what you searched for but there are many horror stories about this piece of hardware. If I had one I would not use it☹️.

markuswelby
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@markuswelby  Well I googled "Asus DSL-AC68U Failure" and from this very forum this came up.......

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Connection-issues-with-ASUS-DSL-AC68U/td-p/1664996 

@RealAleMadrid Well i've just googled "Asus DSL-AC68U Failure" and that example you gave does not show up on my results.

Thus proving my case about different google results.

Yesterday googled "Asus DSL-AC68U Problems" and it did not show anything relevent to an actual problem.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@markuswelby I have no idea how you are using Google so I can't comment on why you cannot find any links to problems with this device. The link below gives mixed reviews, the router function and wi-fi are reputed to be good but the modem part is very bad, Unfortunately a good modem is the most important aspect of a reliable VDSL2 connection.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/19269-asus-dsl-ac68u/reviews/ 

The Asus DSL-AC68U can be configured to work well with an external modem such as the Huawei HG612-3B.

markuswelby
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

.........The link below gives mixed reviews, the router function and wi-fi are reputed to be good but the modem part is very bad, Unfortunately a good modem is the most important aspect of a reliable VDSL2 connection.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/19269-asus-dsl-ac68u/reviews/ 

@RealAleMadrid ,   some very bad reviews on that link, indeed. Thanks for the link 🙂