Did you mean: 

ADSL2 To fibre tomorrow

FIXED
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

ADSL2 To fibre tomorrow

Hi
I'm due to move to fibre tomorrow, and have a BT Hub6 set up in readiness in line with recommended advice here.

This might be a daft question but can I get it up and running now (on ADSL2). Will it just work once the line gets switched over to fibre?
Or
Would it be better to wait until my old router stops working and swap them over then.
7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: ADSL2 To fibre tomorrow

Fix

The BT Hub 6 will work on ADSL so you could set it up now and therefore be assured you have the correct username and password settings before you are switched.

the_groundsman
Rising Star

Fabulous. Many thanks
mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@Mustrum wrote:

The BT Hub 6 will work on ADSL so you could set it up now and therefore be assured you have the correct username and password settings before you are switched.

Sorry, but ADSL isn't the same as the signal as FTTC DSLAM pushes out to users - why would an ADSL modem work on a VDSL connection (or vice-versa)?

Come to think of it what is this filter marked with an ADSL socket doing in the PN fibre router box?

the_groundsman
Rising Star

By way of update.

The Hub6 connected immediately when i switched it over on Monday. The light went orange at 11:00ish on Tuesday  and the internet went off. I went to offer the Openreach guy who was at the cabinet across the street some tea and biscuits but he said it only takes a few minutes and turned me down ( probably sensible despite taking all necessary precautions in these troubled times). Internet wa back on by 11:30  at the new fast speed. So the BTHub6 worked fine on both the old and the new. 

Everything is great apart from one small thing. I use Logitech Media Server to stream spotify to an airplay device using a couple of plugins, but with the new router and connection it no longer works for a reason I cant figure out. The Server can not discover and set up the airplay device or chromecast audios for that matter, as players ). I've tried clean installs on different machines but no luck. Its not a deal breaker Smiley 

Thanks again for your help. Delighted with the service from Plusnet  and Openreach

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@mechanic123  Many Modem/Routers are designed to function on ADSL and VDSL2 circuits so can cope with the different signal types. Some need to be set up differently but I believe the BT HH6 and possibly other Home Hubs can detect the change and switch from ADSL to VDSL2 without any user intervention. So @Mustrum was perfectly correct.

As for the filter there is no difference between ADSL and VDSL2 filters.

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@RealAleMadrid, Thanks, so I should bung in the filter in my current setup?? Don't remember any reference to the filter in the setup instructions that came with the router!

A quick check shows there is a filter in place already! Memory playing tricks again, or maybe SWMBO put it there without me noticing.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@mechanic123  do you have a master socket with a built in filter - you can tell if it has a separate socket for the dsl cable from the router?

If not, and it is a normal phone connector, then you need to use the dangly filter that came with the router.

VDSL customer should have a filtered master socket fitted for best speeds, but more recent customers that are part of the self install process may not have them fitted.