cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL - Upgrade to Hub One at sign up... ?

FIXED
trufflehunt
Dabbler

ADSL - Upgrade to Hub One at sign up... ?

Hi

I've been away for a while, at the Post Office....., I'm now at the end of the contract.

Little difference in prices right now between basic PO, and basic ADSL Plusnet broadband.

I'm just mulling things over, and looking for good reasons to switch..

I understand that the standard Plusnet router is still the Sagem 2704N ( Hub Zero ).

When signiing up to a contract with Plusnet, is there an option to specifiy a better router, ie Hub One ?

Does it work on ADSL, and is it worthwhile ?

Should I buy a s/h one on eBay, or for example a BT Smart Hub..?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: ADSL - Upgrade to Hub One at sign up... ?

The Hub One does work on ADSL but a Smarthub 6 does the job better. Is the Post Office hub locked down? It might even be worth checking if that can be used. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @trufflehunt

The BT Hub One router does support our services on an ADSL connection.

Please note when processing an ADSL order with ourselves, we issue you out our Standard Plusnet 2704N Router.

We only issue out the Plusnet Hub One router when you process a Fibre broadband order with ourselves.

Hope this information has helped.

Best wishes.

trufflehunt
Dabbler

I don't know if the PO Router is locked down. What I do know is that my broadband ISP's went ....

1. Plusnet ( Sagem basic router ) ...., not a single problem in a year..

2. Origin ( Nightmare.... router was a Xyzel, gave up on their support, and bought my own router

( TP-Link TD-W8986 ) which cured the problem of constant disconnections.

3. Post Office ( Xyzel router ).  Not pleased to find that the PO router was the exact same model, as

the Origin supplied one that had given so much trouble. Swapped in my own router.

So..., I wondered if the Hub One or Smart Hub routers give a noticeable uptick over the Hub Zero sagem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Cheers for getting back to us.

The Hub One is more powerful than the Hub Zero and they're also generally more expensive so we'd only offer one free of charge as part of a fibre contract. Outside of that we'd charge £99.99 plus £6.99 for the Hub One.

What makes the Hub One better in my opinion is the wireless signal that's dual band, you'll be able to use both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz freqencies assuming your devices support the latter.

That's not to say the Hub Zero is not any good, I used it for some time with my fibre connection back in the day when we didn't send out a Hub One and I found it fine, it's all relative.

If you're thinking about signing up on ADSL and are looking for a more powerful router than the Hub Zero, it may be worth checking out the Smart Hub you've mentioned. Never used one but I've heard good things about them from folk here.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
trufflehunt
Dabbler

That's sorted it out in my mind.

Thanks everyone. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Awesomeness.

No problem, let us know if you have any further queries. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@trufflehunt 

Generally ADSL only routers are extremely cheap second hand.

I had a Draytek 2820N for 5 years and it was excellent.

The well known auction site seems typically able to let you buy one for around £10 

There is a bit of "getting your mind clear" in the setup but I highly recommend the Draytek 28XX series.

I am the satisfied customer....