cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Router (Sagemcom 2704N) dead

smithywestwill
Hooked

ADSL Router (Sagemcom 2704N) dead

We had a thunderstorm yesterday and after a brief power cut the router appears to have gone to the great junkyard in the sky, no lights are showing on the device. The socket is working with other devices plugged into it and i have tried the router in other sockets around the house, reset and power buttons have been pressed many many times. I have even tried the recently deceased device with another PSU I had tucked away (same 12v and 0.5amp) and still not a flicker of life.

I am currently on hold to the help desk number for (30 minutes so far) having abandoned two previous attempts at 42 and 40 minutes.... i am not impressed with the customer service 😡 I need to get this resolved or at least registered as Christmas approaches and the children will demand blood if the internet is not working Smiley

Can anyone advise who to contact and how to get someone to look into a replacement?

Hope someone can help, Colin

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: ADSL Router (Sagemcom 2704N) dead

and the children will demand blood if the internet is not working 

@smithywestwill  realistically, even if you do get through to PN and they send out a new router, its unlikely to arrive before Christmas.

Unless you have any old routers lying around that may work ? I'd suggest you look to source an alternative. If you want something reasonably cheap and similar in performance to the 2704 then this https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/ will do the job. It doesnt look pretty but it will work with minimal effort. You will just need to configure it with your PlusNet details.

Available from

Argos (assuming you're not in Tier 4) https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882?clickSR=slp:term:wi-fi%20routers:3:25:1

Amazon (tomorrow if you've got Prime) https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Support-UK-TD-W9970/dp/B013OXVA6M/ref=asc_df_B013OXVA6M/?t...

There are of course other options but make sure whatever you are looking at is a combined modem/router.

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@smithywestwill I'd give up on the tech support - they will not replace a router which has been fried by 'an act of god'. Your best bet is to source your own - a BT HH6 +available on a certain auction site) is a much better alternative, but I am afraid you would be unlikely to see one before the holidays, although it would arrive quicker than the replacement 2704N which would cost you £99.00.

@MisterW posted while I was typing.

John
smithywestwill
Hooked

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the small but well formed collection of routers i had amassed were culled by the better half a few months ago as "we will never use them...." oh the fickle hand of fate. I am pretty confident i can install a replacement but i assume that i require the user name and a password which i cant recover from the dearly departed Sagemcom, am I being overly pessimistic is there a password or does it do some black magic and recognise the IP/line number? I have my Plusnet "Broadband Username" but no note of any password?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

am I being overly pessimistic is there a password or does it do some black magic and recognise the IP/line number? I have my Plusnet "Broadband Username" but no note of any password?

@smithywestwill You do need your username (entered into the router as username@plusdsl.net) & password. The password is the same as the one you use to access the member centre https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login if that helps. If you still dont have the password then its possible to reset it here https://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/ but that assumes you have access to the registered contact email account that PlusNet use to communicate bills etc to you

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smithywestwill
Hooked

ahhh that's good i have those details. I think i will start having a look around for a replacement router. Many thanks all.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

shout up if you need more help

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine