Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL HG612 3B and Netgear Orbi

FIXED
hillside2021
Dabbler

ADSL HG612 3B and Netgear Orbi

Good evening,

I am helping a friend setup an HG612 (v. 3B) and Netgear Orbi Mesh (RBK353).

I have successfully reflashed the HG612 with the unlocked firmware per this Kitz post.

I am really hoping someone can help me because after several hours reading various posts and trying an array of settings I've hit a brick wall with an inability to get an internet connection on the Orbi router.

HG612 configuration:

DSL Config:

Modulation type: All (Options are G.Dmt / ADSL2/ ADSL2+ / T1.413/ VDSL2)

ATM Connection:

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

DSL Latency: Path0 ticked, Path1 unticked)

DSL link type: EoA / PPPoA (both attempted)

Encapsulation mode: VCMUX (other option is LLC)

Service type: UBR without PCR (other options are CBR / Non Realtime VBR / Realtime VBR)

PTM Connection:

None entered - default deleted

WAN Settings:

Layer2 interface: atm1/(0_0_38)

WAN Connection: Enable

Service List: Internet

Port Binding: LAN1

Connection Mode: Bridge (other option is Route)

Bridge type: PPPoE_Bridged (other option is IP_Bridged)

DHCP Transparent transmission: Not enabled

WAN 802.1q: Not enabled

If enabled, this allows a VLAN ID to be entered but I understand this is only for FTTC (VDSL) connections?

WAN 802.1p: Not enabled

As above re. VLAN connections.

LAN 802.1q: Not enabled

LAN 802.1p: Not enabled

The above settings get a result in the WAN - xDSL status page of:

Mode: ADSL2+

Traffic Type: ATM

DSL sync status: Up

DSL up time: 0

And then a series of stats under Path 0

On the Netgear Orbi:

Under Internet Setup:

Does your internet connection require a login: Yes

Internet Service Provider: PPPoE (other options are PPTP and L2TP)

Login: [plusnetusername]@plusdsl.net

Password: password used for the member interface

Service name (if required): (Left Blank)

Connection Mode: Always On

Internet IP Address: Get dynamically from ISP

DNS Address: Get dynamically from ISP

Router MAC Address: Use Default Address (other options are Use computer MAC address or Use this MAC address [xx:xx:xx etc])

Physical connections:

Lan1 on the HG612 is connected to the WAN port on the Orbi Router. Lan2 on the HG612 is connected to one of the Orbi Router's LAN ports (so I can alter the settings of the HG612 whilst connected to the Orbi via its management interface.

Result: The readout from the Orbi is scant (I am using the Web Interface after getting nowhere with the App) but it does not connect to the internet:

Connection status: Disconnected

I am really hoping someone can help me because after several hours reading various posts and trying an array of settings I've hit a brick wall!

33 REPLIES 33
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: ADSL HG612 3B and Netgear Orbi

@hillside2021  Welcome to the forum.

I’m confused what you are trying to do here. First of all are you really on ADSL or miss posted rather than use the fibre board?

Secondly are you trying to set the HG6612 as a stand alone modem/router and use the Orbi as a Wireless Access Point? Assuming that this Orbi model is a router then why?

If you have successfully unlocked the Huawei and Indeed the Orbi is a router then you should not have to touch the Huawei settings. You just connect the LAN 1 to the Orbi. All your Plusnet credentials are then input to the Orbi.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
hillside2021
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1,

Thanks for your reply. I am indeed on ADSL2+, the line is not FTTC enabled.

I am trying to use the HG612 as a pure modem, no router functionality, and the Orbi in router/ gateway mode (not AP mode).

I did try just unlocking the HG612 and using as-is but this did not seem to work either. I will try resetting it once again to see if that works.

Thanks.

Baldrick1

@hillside2021 

The HG612 Openreach default firmware sets it in VDSL mode, I’m not sure but don’t think that this works on an ADSL connection.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@hillside2021 

See here for settings as ADSL modem https://support.aa.net.uk/Router_-_EchoLife_HG612

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Those look remarkably like the settings @hillside2021 posted earlier.

@hillside2021 do you have a laptop or other PC that you could connect directly to the HG612 and try and make a PPPoE connection ? This would hopefully prove whether the problem is with the HG612 or the ORBi.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hillside2021
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 Thanks, A&A article you kindly linked to is a reference I used when trying to come up with the correct settings. However A&A proposes EoA compared to the PPPoA setting that PlusNet's own settings page proposes.

@MisterW Thanks, I'll give that a try - only issue is my Windows laptop is a work one so network settings are fairly locked down. Fingers crossed!

Baldrick1

@hillside2021 wrote:

@Baldrick1 Thanks, A&A article you kindly linked to is a reference I used when trying to come up with the correct settings. However A&A proposes EoA compared to the PPPoA setting that PlusNet's own settings page proposes.

But the settings you have used are for connection as a modem/router. I was looking at setting it as a modem, which I understand is what you want

ADSL Configuration

To change the HG612 to act as an ADSL modem, the following configuration is necessary;

• Under "Basic -> DSL" ensure "ALL" is ticked.
  • Under "Basic -> ATM" create a new interface with the following settings:
VPI/VCI: 0/38
DSL Latency: Path0
DSL Link Type: EoA
Encapsulation mode: VCMUX
Service Type: UBR Without PCR
  • Under "Basic -> WAN":

Remove all existing WAN connections and create a new one as follows:

Layer2 interface: atm1(0_0_38)
WAN connection: Enabled
Service list: INTERNET
Port binding: None (untick both checkboxes)
Connection mode: Bridge
Bridge type: PPPoE_Bridged
  • All the checkboxes after "Bridge type:" should be unticked.

Moderator and Customer

hillside2021
Dabbler

Thanks, I went with EoA in the end.

Alas, with no luck, Windows reported error 651 and Mac OSX (also tried) said PPPoE server could not be found.

With my work Windows system, I suspect the issue may be that I don't even have an IP address assigned to the connection to the modem. I don't have the admin rights necessary.

On the Mac, I setup the ethernet connection with a manual 192.168.1.100 address (mask 255.255.255.0). This was needed to connect to LAN2 to setup the HG612, however, what IP config do I need to connect to LAN1 of the HG612?

I assume I need to manually configure an IP but this may be incorrect? I am referring to the ethernet interface from my laptop to the HG612 LAN1 port. This is what I then point OSX to when setting up the PPPoE connection.

hillside2021
Dabbler

A few screenshots in the outside hope someone may spot something I've missed:

Main config:

Main status/ spec pageMain status/ spec page

xTM stats:

XTM StatsXTM Stats

Status> WAN> Network:

WAN - Network statsWAN - Network stats

Status> WAN > xDSL

WAN - xDSL statsWAN - xDSL stats

DSL Configuration:

DSL ConfigurationDSL Configuration

ATM Configuration:

ATM Connection settingsATM Connection settings

WAN Configuration:

WAN Connection settingsWAN Connection settings

Maintenance ATM Ping test (not sure what this does, but it failed)

Maintenance test (out of curiosity, no idea what this does)Maintenance test (out of curiosity, no idea what this does)

hillside2021
Dabbler

A few screenshots which may help (and in case I have missed something) See captions for description.Device ConfigDevice ConfigxTM StatsxTM StatsStatus > NetworkStatus > NetworkStatus >xDSLStatus >xDSLDSL SettingsDSL SettingsATM SettingsATM SettingsWAN SettingsWAN SettingsMaintenance test (not sure what this is, but it failed)Maintenance test (not sure what this is, but it failed)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@hillside2021 

assume I need to manually configure an IP but this may be incorrect? I am referring to the ethernet interface from my laptop to the HG612 LAN1 port. This is what I then point OSX to when setting up the PPPoE connection.

The ip address of the interface is irrelevant when using it for a pppoe connection. 

From looking at your configuration , two things to try

1) change the encapsulation  to LLC , I have a feeling that VCMUX is only used for PPPoA.

2) if 1) doesn't work , I know the instructions say leave port binding unchecked, but try checking LAN1

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

I don't know if PPPoE works for ADSL? Plusnet setting instructions says use PPPoA (PPPoA_bridged in this case). Assuming that there's the option I would try that. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Baldrick1 when using a combined modem/ router , the yes, its PPPoA because the modem is establishing the PPPoE link directly over the ATM layer. When using a separate modem and router, the router has to use PPPoE since its an ethernet connection. The modem then translates to atm using EoA ( ethernet over atm )

As far as Plusnet is concerned it just sees a PPP connection so has no knowledge of whats going on in the modem and router