Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A whole mess of router-related problems

samaeltb
Dabbler

A whole mess of router-related problems

Hey folks,

I've got a bunch of issues with my router (PlusNet Hub One). PlusNet have already sent me a new router, which I'm using and I've got the same issues that the previous one had.

First: Every so often it just randomly loses its connection to the internet. The light on the router goes orange and five minutes later it's fine. PlusNet offered me an engineer on the proviso that I would pay them a bunch of money if they didn't find a problem. Ridiculous.

Second: It seems to have a really low max device limit. I've got around 10-15 devices connected on average and had to split the network in 2.4ghz and 5ghz just so that some of my devices could actually see the network. Even if they could see the network they sometimes had problems connecting.

Third: iOS devices intermittently can't get on the internet (despite still being on the WiFi network). We'll get errors in Safari that say we're not connected to the internet. Toggling WiFi or waiting for a little while resolves this, but it's super annoying.

I know there's nothing to be done about the disconnections (other than switch provider when my contract is up), but would a mesh system like Google WiFi help with the second and third problems?

Do mesh systems even work with the Hub One? I've read a lot on these forums about needing a different modem because of bridge mode or some such. It's very confusing and potentially expensive for something I may not even be able to use.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give!

21 REPLIES 21
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: A whole mess of router-related problems

Hi there @samaltb,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Really sorry to see you are having these issues with your connection and I apologise for the frustration caused.

I've checked over your account and can see you previously had a faults ticket open in regards to a high resistance issue, however, this was closed down due to the engineer statement not being accepted. I would just like to clarify the engineer charge is based on the the engineer meeting certain criteria while on the appointment:

- The fault lying within your internal wiring (which is why we ask that you get connected at the test socket as this rules out a faulty faceplate/internal wiring)

- Your Plusnet router (if this is found to be the issue, we'd replace it and negate the charge)

- You miss the appointment/cancel with less than 48 hours notice (we're unable to do anything on this one)

As a courtesy I've also checked over your Radius connection logs and can confirm there is a definite issue which would be affecting your WiFi connection with the amount of drops outs we're seeing.

As your previous fault ticket has been closed, please can you go ahead with the basic checks here and then raise a fault here once you've completed them and we can go ahead and progress this to our suppliers for an engineer appointment.

Thanks.

samaeltb
Dabbler

Okay thanks for looking. That’s a LOT of disconnects. It’s disconnected three times since I got home this evening, which is way worse than usual. We’ve got a fairly new baby so finding time to do this is going to be difficult.

My worry with the engineer is that this fault is intermittent so they may not even find anything. Will there be any evidence for them to look at if they turn up and our broadband is behaving?

samaeltb
Dabbler

If I do manage to connect via the test socket, how long can I leave my broadband running that way? Will it function normally? Is it okay to leave it that way for several days and then you can check my radius report again?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @samaeltb,

For a dropping connection problem such as this, we would add a note when booking the engineer to let them know that there are intermittent connection drops and that we can see them on your connection log. If the issue isn't presenting when they visit, they won't mark the visit down as "no fault found." It might also be worth you showing them the connection log that @Mads has posted above when they visit, to show them when these drops are happening.

In terms of your test socket, you'll be able to continue using your services once your router is connected to this. Please leave your router connected in this way for 24-48 hours and then get back in touch so we can check if your connection log is showing a more stable connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
samaeltb
Dabbler

Okay thanks! I'll give it a try as soon as the baby allows it.

samaeltb
Dabbler

Okay, as of 18:50 today, our broadband is running off the test socket.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @samaeltb

Log for your connection here

As you can see the connection has been a lot more stable in the test socket - could you leave it as it is for another 48 hours and let us know if you experience any further drops in connection? (or nudge us and we'll check this for you at the end of the week?)

Best wishes

Dave

samaeltb
Dabbler

It’s been another 48 hours. Please can you run a report?

Also, testing broadband in the test socket has been even slower than normal so can you tell us what we’re syncing at?

Thanks!

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@samaeltb 

One observation, a different ISP will make no difference if the service is delivered on the same wires.

If matters improve with a direct connection to the test socket it suggests that something about your internal wiring at home makes the problem worse.

Most likely the sync speed has reduced as the equipment in the cabinet attempts to get the line stable.

Having spent some while getting the broadband stable for relatives, the answer was to fit a filtered faceplate (i-Plate or similar) https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/pc-mac/networking-and-wi-fi/general-networking/bt-i-plate-46559...

If you have a engineer visit (which I did due to a line fault) you might find they change the master socket to a filtered one as part of the process.

I am the satisfied customer....
samaeltb
Dabbler

We’re going away for the weekend so I’ve put my socket back together so we can see if there’s an increase in disconnections.

@markhawkin Thanks for the advice. And thanks for the link. That’s one less thing for me to research!

samaeltb
Dabbler

Also, I’m not really sure why this is called a test socket since all connections to the outside go through it anyway. The part of my socket that comes off in order to get to the other socket is just a splitter/micro filter that’s built into the socket? So I already have what you describe?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @samaeltb,

I've had a look at your connection and it appears to be nice and stable at the moment with no drops over the last 24 hours. Please let us know if there are still any connection problems on your side.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@samaeltb 

It is called the test socket because it disconnects (or at least should) the internal wiring in your house from the phone line.

The thing that VDSL (“fibre”) broadband really dislikes is lots of splits in internal phone wiring in a house. It works fine with phones but broadband hates that sort of wiring. 

Hence a filter plate at the master socket is a good idea.

I am the satisfied customer....
samaeltb
Dabbler

That’s great! Thanks!

I’ll reply to this thread again if I have any more problems.