cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ghz speed dropping daily.

peteharper
Grafter

5ghz speed dropping daily.

Had a few problems before with firmware causing problems with Amazon devices, was pushed back by admin to firmware 263 and all was ok for about a year. Now I keep losing speed on 5ghz WiFi, normally runs at about 70mbps, but keeps dropping to around 24mbps, have to restart router to get back to usual 70mbps speed.

No new devices or changes here, so whats going on?

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: 5ghz speed dropping daily.

Hi @peteharper,

I'm sorry to hear that you're losing speed when connected to the 5ghz WiFi. If you've not done so already, I would recommend that you try changing the wireless channel to see if this improves the signal. The steps for this are as follows:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
peteharper
Grafter

Still dropping quite regularly. Was out last night, when I returned speed had dropped.

peteharper
Grafter

Speed dropping out.

My hub one is randomly dropping from about 67mbps to 24mbps. Only corrrects
Itself if i reboot the router

I use the 5ghz signal and have switched channel already, still a problem.

I had issues before caused by using amazon tablets and had firmware rolled back.

Can anyone help me, its getting really annoying.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Speed dropping out.

Moderators Note

Two topics on same issue merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @peteharper.

I realise that it's less than ideal but in the interim, until we have a fix for this issue, it may be worth disabling the 5Ghz and utilising the 2.4Ghz.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4GHz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Please let us know how you get on with it.

peteharper
Grafter

I get a far faster connection on 5ghz, si thats not ideal for me

Tonight I am only achieving about 45mbps, but was never under 68mbps until recently.

My upload was 2 mbps earlier, normally 20mbps.

Does anyone have any idea whats happened, everything was great for a long time, now its pretty poor.
peteharper
Grafter

well ????

Whats Happening ????

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @peteharper, thanks for getting back to us.

I am really sorry that you are having issues with the 5GHz. Though I appreciate your reluctancy to do so, as mentioned by my colleagues the workaround for this would be to disable to 5GHz. Although it's not a fix, it would be a temporary workaround to prevent you having to regularly reboot the router. 

To be honest, other than this there isn't much more we can advise and if you don't want to use 2.4 GHz wireless for the meantime, it may be worth looking at using an ethernet connection where possible to help you get the best out of your connection or something such as a powerline adaptor.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
peteharper
Grafter

Hi

If my service is somehow disrupted by what can only be an issue with your equipment will you be putting any further billing on hold?

you cant expect me to pay for a service you arent providing.

how long am i looking at having to wait ?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @peteharper

I agree that the matter is frustrating but I'm afraid we wouldn't look to refund you or suspend your bills as we can't guarantee the wireless side of things.

There is a temporary fix available in splitting the wireless bands and connecting only just to the 2.4ghz band

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
peteharper
Grafter

So how long am i expected to put up with the temporary fix?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @peteharper,

We're always looking to improve the service and looking into ways to resolve these types of issues. With that being said, I'm afraid that we wouldn't know exactly when this problem will be resolved, though I hope the temporary fix helps to improve your experience.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@TheMightyAJ
This isn't really about improving the service. It's about fixing what you broke in the last firmware release.
We don't need improvement, just what we already had.
peteharper
Grafter

Do they seriously expect people to put up with such poor service.

My 5ghz is almost twice as fast, but I cant use it for an unspecified period

Utterly ridiculous.

How many on here have gone to the ombudsman?