Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ghz non functional

Passat52
Dabbler

5ghz non functional

As the post title.

I am a new plusnet user. Have the plusnet hub one.

I was having issues with an iPad getting booted of the wifi. Reading on here I separated the 2.4 and 5 spectrum, renamed each ssid and everything g worked fine on 2.4, however, not one single device on my home network can connect to the 5ghz side of the router. I just get "internet may not be avalible".

Having spoke to phone support, I was less than impressed with help and advice.

Can anyone on here offer any help or advice on this problem.
7 REPLIES 7
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: 5ghz non functional

Here's a brief summary....

Hub's running firmware ending 259 had an issue with certain Apple products.

A new firmware ending 263 was built and sent to our routers to fix the above. This one appears to be causing more issues then the previous version - customer reports are starting to filter through on to these forums. I was one of them, but I tend to only use the 2.4GHz.

A temporary fix, not the solution, which you could try, is to try turning off the 5GHz on the router - then put something over the red wifi light that will show on the router. Having said this, when my router updated to 263, the 2.4GHz also started to fail.

If you're on 263 (check this at the bottom of any hub page) then imho they need to roll us all back to 259 until they fix the issues that are likely to have been caused by the latest firmware.

Passat52
Dabbler

Thanks, I'm currently on firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

I'm using the 2.4 without any problems, just a little annoying I have dual band, but cant use it.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Do you know when it updated to 269?

Mine, after a few days, started to 'act up' on 2.4GHz too!!

They ended up sending me a replacement hub, which ironically updated earlier today. I'm just waiting for the days to tick by to then see if this one also trashes the 2.4GHz...

Passat52
Dabbler

Last update was 26/2/19 that was actual install date, so I've not experienced any other firmware.

I was already looking to replace to PN hub with my own 3rd party router. This is making that decision easier.
DS
Seasoned Champion

So based on the date alone, you could well be seeing the 'improvements' then with the 'improved' firmware Roll_eyes

Many do swap it out, makes you wonder why!! Lips_are_sealed

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@DS wrote:

Many do swap it out, makes you wonder why!! Lips_are_sealed

Pretty obvious really, the Hub One is an obsolete BT Home Hub 5A with flaky Plusnet firmware. Hence me continually bleating on about replacing it with a bargain basement Smarthub 6 off Ebay.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DS
Seasoned Champion

And for that @Baldrick1 I can't fault ya!! Wink

Though:

• I'm genuinely surprised BT have actually, after many years, come up with what appears to be a decent router.
  • PN are possibly being 'forced' into using their hand-me-downs, but any ISP supplied router should be fit for purpose. We shouldn't need to look at alternatives just to have a quiet life.

I too am giving a BTBH6 some serious thought, but would like to see the day when the wifi actually works and the modem part doesn't cough and poop itself whenever there's a fly landing on the drop wire. But will I still be with PN by then is a completely different story....