cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ghz Wifi stopped working

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

5ghz Wifi stopped working

I was one of the many suffering with dropping 5ghz Wifi on the Hub One and after setting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz to separate SSID's and manually changing both to channels that were unused in the area it fixed it, but tonight 5ghz wifi has stopped working all together, i've tried restarting the router and factory resets and the 5ghz wifi network will no longer show up on any devices.

Also had a lot of random PPP session drops over the last month.

It's an old Hub One from when they first started issuing them so i'm beginning to think it's dying of old age.

12 REPLIES 12
s7eveyorkshire
Dabbler

Re: 5ghz Wifi stopped working

If you did a reset then it will revert to the single automatic 2.4/5 channel in one.. so you will just see your single plusnet wifi when you search.. easy to split again if needs be.. doesnt really cure the issue though.its mainly an apole update that caused it in most cases and causes freezing when swapping from 2.4 to 5ghz.. but if you need to split again its easy to do through the router admin:)
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

I did re-split them after the reset, still no 5ghz network showing up on any devices.

s7eveyorkshire
Dabbler

What can you see when you do a search for networks now?plusnet###
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

The only networks i see on any of my devices is the 2.4ghz wifi network and my neighbours wifi.

I have 2 phones a tablet and my PS4 that were connected to the 5ghz wifi and they were all disconnected earlier when i got home which was how i noticed the issue, still none of them can see my 5ghz network after all the changes.

Also just noticed something else, on the Home page of the Hub Manager its only showing my Ethernet connected devices, for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wifi it's showing "No devices detected" and Advanced Settings > Home Network is also showing no devices connected to either wifi network even though i do have devices connected to 2.4ghz and working.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @nightstalk3r, I am sorry for the issues you have been experiencing.

We are aware of an issue whereas the network map doesn't always list all devices connected. Usually, a reboot of the router will fix this.

Are you experiencing any issues with the 2.4GHz? As it may be worth temporarily disabling the 5GHz completely if your devices are dropping from it.

Checking the connection I can see it's been stable for 6 days with no drops and a test on the line hasn't highlighted any issues though if you do experience any drops, I'd advise getting connected into the test socket for the time being.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

2.4ghz is working fine despite the router reporting no devices connected to it, 5ghz even with a separate SSID is not showing up on any of my 5ghz enabled devices anymore, i've tried resetting it again.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @nightstalk3r,

I've ordered a new router for you - the one you have is very old (as you noted), so we'll see if this rectifies any issues you might be having.

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Thank you @JOLO will update when it arives.

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

We'll the router showed up at the wrong address, it's arrived at my previous address that i left 4 months ago..

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Just imagine where it could have ended up if you weren't dealing with a company with award winning customer service!
Hope you get it sorted soon.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Turns out they never changed the address on my account even though the engineer showed up to the correct address to install my line, i could write a book with the amount of cockups Plusnet have made the last 4 months.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

I'm really sorry to hear this, @nightstalk3r

Was the router close enough for you to acquire it from the old address or would you like me to send you another one to an alternative address?

Best wishes

Dave