Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ghz Dropping out randomly and regularly

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: 5ghz Dropping out randomly and regularly

Glad to hear things are better guys, and apologies again for all of the hassle.

@NTO, I'm still very nervous about your situation. the .262/.263 firmwares are planned for wider deployment, and you're one of the only customers who've been upgraded to this build that has reported problems. Would you be adverse to me upgrading you again for a short period of time so we can be 100% that your problem returns? If it does, it would also allow me to grab some logs for investigation. I promise I won't go quiet this time Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

NTO
Grafter

@bobpullen

Hi Bob, I trust Peter is sorted now, so I am hopping back onto:   

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/WIFI-keeps-disconnecting/td-p/1585259/highlight/false/page/8

see you there.  

I am also now watching this thread with interest 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Wireless-connections-dropping/td-p/1578437/page/2

Unfortunately, the roll-back has not solved my problem.  Sad

That's good news for you though, as regards the new firmware deployment 

peteharper
Grafter

NTO yes all appears well so far.

Its been a journey lol, shame we can't keep in touch!!

Thanks, and I hope everything keeps working for you
NTO
Grafter

@peteharper  Thanks, Peter.  I'm really pleased your is ok now.  Long may that continue!  
You've been lovely!  Angel

Superdario
Grafter

This is interesting, all of my 5ghz devices (iphones mainly) constantly drop out and have issues, whereas the older stuff is fine consistently (tv streaming etc.). Had a few support queries of this over the years but never got to the bottom of it.

Is it possible for my firmware to be sorted on the Hub One as this issue only started once I paid to 'upgrade' the router...!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Superdario, as this may not be a firmware related issue, can you confirm what firmware version you're on? You can find out by going to 192.168.1.254 and scrolling down to the bottom of the page. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

Although routers are supposed to be smart and sort out a 'least' busy channel, many dont.

Might be worth a quick check to see how busy the channels are around you see if interference could be an issue and manually change the channel used by router.

Easy to use free utility, there are a number out there but this is quite straight forward. (Remember channels overlap)

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
mandyflood
Dabbler

Hi there, I am having issues with wifi and came across a couple of threads concerning wifi dropping but this one seems to fit as it more concerns only the 5ghz.

When i look at the home network devices on router all wifi devices are connected to the 2.4ghz and any that try to connect to the 5ghz keep connecting and disconnecting.

My router is Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 | Last updated 26/09/18

I was wondering if it is possible to get a firmware upgrade or any other help to solve this issue.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @mandyflood, sorry to hear you're having wireless issues. As the 5GHz wireless doesn't reach as far or is strong as the 2.4Ghz wireless frequency it's fairly common to see connection issues with 5Ghz but not with 2.4Ghz. There is also compatibility issues to keep in mind also as some older devices may not be compatible with 5Ghz. If you've already split up the 2.4 and 5Ghz and aren't having any issues with the 2.4 then I'd recommend to carry on as you are as 5Ghz doesn't necessarily always offer a better connection and I've found works best with stationary devices within the same room as the router.

Manickbarry42
Hooked

Hi I’m also having problems with my 5Ghz dropping all the time. What do I need to do to get this resolved. 

Thanks

barry 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Barry.

Are you able to try changing the wireless channel that the 5GHz frequency operates on?

This may improve the performance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobC
Pro

@RobC wrote:

Although routers are supposed to be smart and sort out a 'least' busy channel, many dont.

Easy to use free utility, there are a number out there but this is quite straight forward. (Remember channels overlap)

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html

Above utility checks both if your card is capable.

More info on 5ghz and interference

https://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/mythbusters-theres-no-interference-at-5-ghz

More general info

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1401371/how-to-extend-wi-fi-range-increase-speed-and-fix-pr...

Suggestion to just use 2.4Ghz to address immediate problems is practical if irritating.

* It will be interesting to see if limiting the 5GHz channel to one device resolves any issues.

A bit irritating i know, and of course you shouldn't have too, but if it gets you working more reliably and either identifies some issue, or at least rules some potential sources of the problem out - its gotta be worth a little effort

Else you can always wait for some up or downgrade to be actioned which may or may not happen ... or change things ......

It may be that the plusnet routers simply dont do 5Ghz well. They are budget routers.

There is always the option of buying a quality router and switching the PN router into modem mode which has looong been  done on many services to get the best performance.

Manickbarry42
Hooked

Hi that seems to have helped thanks very much
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's good to see Thumbs_Up

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobC
Pro

@Manickbarry42 wrote:
Hi that seems to have helped thanks very much

Could you clarify what actions you believe helped your situation @Manickbarry42

Ta

and dont edit the darned quote Mods - it clarifies the question.