cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

chillyelmo
Grafter

Re: 5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

I used to get higher speeds over WiFi than I'm actually getting via Ethernet now, so something has changed?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @chillyelmo,

I'm afraid there's nothing much we can do in regards to your WiFi speeds, but looking into your speed upto the master-socket we are seeing 76.3mbps downstream. Could you clarify you are having trouble achieving this speed over an Ethernet connection? If it's more than likely you'll need to go ahead with our troubleshooting steps here and then raise a fault here.

Thanks.

chillyelmo
Grafter

All of the tests that I've run have been through Ethernet, and through the test socket!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Apologies for the previous response @chillyelmo 

I can see you've been through the troubleshooting process, reported a fault and we've established that your speeds using a wired connection are within expectations.

While I've asked Here for further information, I've read back to the beginning of this thread and I can see you've advised that your speeds via the 2.4GHz frequency are much the same as over a wired connection.

What I've done as the next step is replaced your router, you should receive a new one within the next few days.

Let us know how it goes once you've got it and had a chance to retest. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

Right I think we're getting a bit confused here.

I noticed a drop in speed about a month ago, and since then they have got worse.

Since then I have done speed tests over ethernet, and the speed I am getting is always around 66.

Your first colleague suggested this wasn't within what I should be getting, but you have since said they are.

I was told when I signed up I am estimated line speeds of 76-80 with a minimum guaranteed access speed of 72.

The further test results I ran suggested the max available was 70.

I fully understand WiFi speeds will be lower, but the speed I am capable of over ethernet is now 66, which is what I could get over WiFi a month ago.

So please clarify what access speed I should be getting, what access speed I am getting, what line speed I should be getting and what line speed I am getting.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @chillyelmo,

I'm sorry for any confusion that this may have caused you. To clarify, your current line estimates show that you should be able to achieve a downstream sync speed of 76-80Mbp, though as these are at the very tip top of what your line and package is capable of offering, we'd consider there to be a speed fault if you were achieving a speed below the 70Mbps range. As of right now, I can see that your downstream sync speed is 76.3Mbps, which is well within the speed range we'd expect you to receive.

If you're currently receiving a throughput speed in the property of 66Mbps, we could go forward and investigate this as a speed fault, though the speed isn't too far below the estimates. Before we do that however, I would advise waiting to see how the new router performs, as mentioned in @Gandalf's previous reply.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
chillyelmo
Grafter

Ok I was just about to try setting the new router up and I noticed there was a slow flashing orange mast type picture on the right hand side of the router. The internet has been slow today, don't know if that means anything but I'm going to try the new router now

chillyelmo
Grafter

Hi, i tried the new router, the Ethernet speed was around 66 and 68 so I guess that's ok.

I changed back to my original router and the speeds have improved as well, WiFi improved on all devices, so maybe there were some gremlins in the system?
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @chillyelmo, I'm glad to hear that things seem to have improved, I'd keep an eye on things and get back to us if the issue returns as we then maybe would need to progress with the fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
chillyelmo
Grafter

Ok thanks, I'll keep an eye out. Should I send the replacement router back?
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @chillyelmo, you can always keep this in case you need it in future, alternatively you can send it back to us (a returns bag should have been sent with the replacement, if not let us know and we can send you one).

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
chillyelmo
Grafter

My problem with 5ghz was obviously the tip of the iceberg as I'm having the trouble everybody else is having with the 5ghz only managing 20mbps! Is there seriously no fix for this yet!?
skywalker333

I am having exactly the same problem like you. For a long time, wifi speed was excellent and then suddenly, it dropped to 1/3 what it should be.

I of course changed bands manually, tried all channels on 2.4 and 5ghz range, tried wifi analyzer, tried disconnecting everything at home. No solution and the wifi analyzer shows double the amount of "noise" for me compared to all other networks on the building.

In the end, I borrowed another router from a friend, tried it and i finally got the speed im supposed to get. Which goes to show that the problem is the very poor quality modem which for some reason is not operating up to scratch (and is also making noises when sending/receiving data). 

Now i'm in discussion with plusnet to get the modem replaced but it is an uphill battle against very strange warranties that for weeks now I can't get a clear answer. Might be simpler to simply switch provider, I'm very close to switching too.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @skywalker333, thanks for your message.

On checking the account, I can see that the reason that we haven't replaced the router is that you're out of contract and the router is out of warranty. We'd be more than happy to replace the router should you re-contract, but aren't able to do so without, unfortunately.

I'm sorry that this isn't the answer that you were looking for but I unfortunately am not able to circumvent our processes with regards warranties.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@skywalker333
Don't recontract. This is a likely to be a known problem with the router firmware.

Look at the other threads on here.