Did you mean: 

5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: 5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

Hi @chillyelmo

Assuming those test results were via an ethernet cable, this is still below the estimates for your line so I'd concur with my colleagues earlier posts that this may be worth raising a fault for here.

Could you please let us know when you've done this so that we can get this escalated on your behalf?

Thanks

Dave

chillyelmo
Grafter

Yes via ethernet in the test socket. It's different to how I did it the last time and says a fault ticket has been raised
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @chillyelmo 

From what I can see the results you've got via the ThinkBroadband speedtester are fine for your downstream sync rate of 76mbps and upstream sync rate of 20mbps which are within your speed estimates as below:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 76.1 20 19

It's likely that the BT speedtester has just thrown out another unreliable result on this occasion.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

The think broadband results came back at 68, that's well below what I should be getting. And devices are still getting as low as 26mbps which were regularly getting 70. Can you see different results from what I posted?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm just going off the speeds you've said here along with the speeds your router is in sync at.

For a sync rate of 76mbps which is within/on the bottom end of your estimates, a throughput of 68mbps is perfectly normal. When your speeds drop to 26mbps is that on an ethernet connection and are there any devices using the internet?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

I posted BT wholesale results at 65 and your colleague suggested raising a fault, now I've posted at 68 and you're saying that's ok? The 26 is through 5ghz tge device hasn't moved, it always got 60, it's now around 26
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'd personally say that 68mbps throughput you've shown in your post 30 is OK for a sync rate of 76mbps. If you can complete the further diagnostics of the BT speedtester making sure this is still over an ethernet connection with nothing running in the background or on any other devices we can look into this further.

With regards to your slow WiFi speeds I'm afraid that this would be a separate issue and isn't something that we'd consider a fault with the service. What do your speeds look like on the 2.4GHz frequency with the 5GHz switched off?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

I ran further diagnosis tests a few days ago, can you look into them?

Well I've been told I'm guaranteed 72mbps so which is it?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We're not seeing any logged performance test results on the BT systems I'm afraid.

Are you able to carry the further diagnostics out again also posting a screenshot of the results here?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

It mustn't have gone through the first time. Said it couldn't identify any problems but said my expected speeds were between 40 and 71 Mbps, is that correct?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Your speed estimates/expectations of your line are between 76mbps and 80mbps however this is mostly based on your sync rate which is 76mbps unfortunately at the very bottom of the estimated speed range.

Are you able to post up a screenshot of the further diagnostics you've run?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @chillyelmo I've been looking at this with my colleague @MatthewWheeler and that speed looks perfectly fine. The max achievable of 70mbps you're seeing would be, because the IP profile of the line is set at that for the sync rate of 76mbps. Your throughput of 66mbps is on target, you'd rarely get exactly what your line sync's at.

Are you seeing any performance issues at all?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

I was consistently getting 66mbps on 5ghz devices so why can I only just get that through Ethernet now?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As per my previous response, 

With regards to your slow WiFi speeds I'm afraid that this would be a separate issue and isn't something that we'd consider a fault with the service. What do your speeds look like on the 2.4GHz frequency with the 5GHz switched off?

This will narrow down where the issue may lie, if you're just having speed issues using the 5GHz frequency you may be affected by the issue that's being discussed Here.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet