5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

chillyelmo
Grafter

Re: 5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

I'll try unplugging the answer phone to see if that helps
chillyelmo
Grafter

I unplugged the phone but as I did so I inadvertently unplugged the router. It worked for a bit but I think that was because I had restarted the router as it steadily went back to not being reliable. The range isn't great and it keeps dropping out.

I have already bout an AC2600 router so I want to use it. What would be a suitable modem for use with this.

Would I need to bridge it to the Plusnet router?

chillyelmo
Grafter

WiFi has dropped down to 30mgps again! Can I get some help please. The router us obviously [-Censored-], why can't you just let me use my own!?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@chillyelmo Sorry to hear that. You should be able to use your own router, that's perfectly fine. Just set it up using the details here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Although I’ve just realised that it doesn’t look like your router has a modem built in, so you’ll need to buy a fibre/VDSL modem to go behind the router because as far as I’m aware it’s not possible to put the Hub One into bridge mode.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

I've bought a modem to go with the router just waiting for it to arrive. Speeds have been even lower and it's really annoying so I've connected my laptop via ethernet cable and the speed is down to 50MBps so it might not be the WiFi after all!

Is there any reason I would be getting such low speeds via ethernet?

Do I need to a full test before setting up my own router because it looks like I'm still having issues

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@chillyelmo,

If you're only getting 50Mbps through a wired connection then I'd suggest it's likely we'll have to go down the fault route I'm afraid. GEA line test doesn't show any issues (see below). It might be worth popping the router into the test socket to see if this up's the wired speed for you and rule out any internal wiring and once that's been done we can either progress for an engineer asap for you, or you can wait until your new kit has arrived. 

chillyelmo
Grafter

Just ran a speed test via the test socket:

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Broadband Speed Test Results

Download Speed (Mbps): 67.60 

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 11.49 

Ping Latency (ms): 35

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @chillyelmo

Those speeds are closer to what we expect to see.

Can you confirm there was nothing running in the background and that your YouView box wasn't being used to watch or record the extra channels you get via your internet connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
chillyelmo
Grafter

No I disconnected everything apart from the TV. Turned off the firewall and anti virus. Unplugged the nearby phone. The youview box wasn't recording anything. I'll run it again in the morning with everything off, I wish you had an option on the hub manager to disconnect connections.
chillyelmo
Grafter

These are the results with absolutely everything disconnected

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Broadband Speed Test Results

Download Speed (Mbps): 65.92 

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 11.03 

Ping Latency (ms): 36
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @chillyelmo as your throughput is less than your minimum guaranteed I'd advise raising this as a fault, if you let us know once done we'll pick it up for you.

Having checked the connection there's been a number of drops over the last 24 hrs (see below), can you advise if this is from your rebooting/ disconnecting the router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
chillyelmo
Grafter

Yes the drops would have been from me testing from the test socket. Is it worth me running another test as independent sites have clocked upload of 18 although the download is still roughly 60
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah it may be worth running a speed test from a third party site like http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

Let us know how your speeds look again. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chillyelmo
Grafter

Turned everything off, Plugged into the test socket:

thinkbroadband: 68 download, 18.7 upload

BT Wholesale test 67 download, 11 up