cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

chillyelmo
Grafter

5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

I had an engineer visit because I wasn't getting the speeds I should have been, they fixed the problem and everything was fine. But a couple months later my WiFi speeds have dropped down to slower than they were before.

I've just ran a test through an ethernet socket and it was 68Mbps so it's about right.

Devices that run on 2.4GHZ are getting about the same speeds but my devices on 5GHZ that used to get 60Mbps are now only getting 28Mbps.

What could be the reason for this?

I bought a better router can I use the Hub One as the modem for it? 

Thanks

61 REPLIES 61
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: 5GHZ WiFi slower than 2GHZ

Hi there @chillyelmo

It sounds like the problem with the 5Ghz is possible interference on the frequency. Have you logged into the admin settings and changed the channel?

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel. You can apply this guide for changing the 2.4Ghz channels too!

You could also sync the 2.4 and 5Ghz bandwidths together.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'

4) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Sadly you can't use the Hub One as a standalone modem as there is no way for you to disable the DHCP. Having multiple DHCP systems in one network will butt heads.

Mark280
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Optimatts (Plusnet Help Team) wrote:

Sadly you can't use the Hub One as a standalone modem as there is no way for you to disable the DHCP. 

Really?

How about - navigate through the router settings tabs...

Advanced Settings > Home Network > IP Addresses

DHCP Server

Enable: Yes / No

...my guess would be, that this would allow you to disable the DHCP server?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@chillyelmo 

It is worth downloading a free wifi sniffer app, I use WiFi Analyser on an Android phone. With this you can 'see' other transmissions in your area. Check both at the router location  and where you use your devices. This gives you the information you require to enable you to manually select the quietest channel. If you have the two bands separated and the 2.4 GHz band is faster then use that.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@Mark280 wrote:

Optimatts (Plusnet Help Team) wrote:

Sadly you can't use the Hub One as a standalone modem as there is no way for you to disable the DHCP. 

Really?

How about - navigate through the router settings tabs...

Advanced Settings > Home Network > IP Addresses

DHCP Server

Enable: Yes / No

...my guess would be, that this would allow you to disable the DHCP server?

I'm afraid that DHCP has nothing to do with configuring the Hub One as a modem.

Disabling DHCP plus changing the router's IP address would change it into an Access Point.

It will not work as a stand alone modem.

Moderator and Customer

Mark280
Grafter

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I'm afraid that DHCP has nothing to do with configuring the Hub One as a modem.

Disabling DHCP plus changing the router's IP address would change it into an Access Point.

It will not work as a stand alone modem.

Regardless, it does appear possible to disable the Hub One's DHCP, which 'Optimatts' said wasn't possible.

As for what 'chillyelmo' wants to achieve...

It may simply be a matter of turning off the Hub One's WiFi facilities, and then connecting an independent WiFi access point to the Hub One via respective Ethernet ports.

Depending on the secondary WiFi device being used, it may be necessary to configure that second device with DHCP disabled. (?)

Baldrick1

@Mark280 wrote
:

Regardless, it does appear possible to disable the Hub One's DHCP, which 'Optimatts' said wasn't possible.

"Let he that is without sin cast the first stone"

It may simply be a matter of turning off the Hub One's WiFi facilities, and then connecting an independent WiFi access point to the Hub One via respective Ethernet ports.

It is but the question was 'can the Hub One be used as a stand alone modem'. The answer is NO.

Depending on the secondary WiFi device being used, it may be necessary to configure that second device with DHCP disabled. (?)

Configuring the second router as an Access Point is covered in my previous post.

Moderator and Customer

Mark280
Grafter

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Mark280 wrote
:

"Let he that is without sin cast the first stone"

It's not a matter of 'casting stones' - it is matter of correcting factual errors.

It is but the question was 'can the Hub One be used as a stand alone modem'. The answer is NO.

Their question was... "I bought a better router can I use the Hub One as the modem for it?"

The Hub One could perform the modem function (as it usually does) with another suitably configured router connected to it providing separate WiFi function.

So, for what 'chillyelmo' wants to achieve - the answer really is YES.

Baldrick1

OK maybe I'm splitting hairs but you cannot use a Hub One as a bridge mode modem. You can however use a Hub One modem/router to feed a second router, providing that second router is set up as an Access Point.

This is a different set up arrangement compared with using a stand alone bridge modem, as generally used for this function.

Moderator and Customer

chillyelmo
Grafter

How would I do it because I reset my router. The devices on 5ghz are now getting 60mbps but my device on 2.4ghz keeps dropping out. I couldn't find a good app for WiFi channel to find a clean channel
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.

Which apps have you tried and what type of devices do you have?

It may also be worth choosing a channel randomly through trial and error.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

I suggested Wifi Analyser in post 4. This works perfectly well for me on an Android phone. I have also used the free version of InSSider on a windows laptop

Moderator and Customer

chillyelmo
Grafter

I downloaded WiFi analyzer, I tried a few different channels it said were best. I'm still getting intermittent drop outs. When I first reset it I could connect to the 5ghz on my phone, that won't connect now.
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @chillyelmo,

Thank you for testing with a wifi analyser.

Do you have anything electronic near the router such as cordless house phones, bluetooth devices, baby monitors or microwaves? If you do, could you temporarily turn them off and retest the connection. I would recommend factory resetting the router should you have anything near the router to ensure it wasn't responsible for the issue from the start.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Gintas
Dabbler

@chillyelmo wrote:
I downloaded WiFi analyzer, I tried a few different channels it said were best. I'm still getting intermittent drop outs. When I first reset it I could connect to the 5ghz on my phone, that won't connect now.

Just curious. Can you upload screenshot of wifi analyzer where it shows 5Ghz routers?Screenshot_20190624-135455.png