Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GHZ Not working

Drewe
Dabbler

5GHZ Not working

Hello,

Before I went to sleep, the 5G Wifi was working perfectly fine. Correct speeds, etc+

I woke up, and the Wifi wasn't working, so I had to switch back to 2.4Ghz.

Every time I connect to the 5GHz network, I can't get an internet connection.

9 REPLIES 9
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: 5GHZ Not working

Hi there @Drewe,

I'm sorry to hear that, are all devices affected by this? Can you log into your hub manager via this URL http://192.168.1.254 and check the bottom of the main page and confirm the firmware version you're currently on?

Thanks.

Drewe
Dabbler

Hello Mads, thanks for the response

Yes. I've tried connecting to 5GHZ on my PC and it doesn't seem to work - I've also tried many times to connect via phone (Samsung S6) and my other iPhone, but no use. Maybe it's something to do with this? https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-on...

My firmware is Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Silanthril
Dabbler

I have had this issue since upgrading to a hub one when I moved in January. 5ghz works for about a week and then stops. I have normally resolved this by restarting the router. I saw the article linked by Drewe and realised I was not alone. I have split the two channels now so I can see when the 5ghz dies and will report back to Plusnet.

I was about to buy a new router but will hold on as the issue clearly sits with the Hub's firmware

Drewe
Dabbler

Hello Silan,
I've restarted the router twice with no luck at all. I guess it's just something to do with the firmware..?
Silanthril
Dabbler

Apparently it is a firmware issue. Have you tried connecting to 2.4ghz? If you log into your router using the link above you can split out the two channels and give them separate passwords. This means if the 5ghz channel dies, you still have the other one as fallback. It does mean you need to set all your devices to log onto both automatically.

Drewe
Dabbler

Yeah i have separate channels for 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I was using tbe 5ghz and it just died. 2.4ghz works but it's terribly slow.
Algie42
Hooked

Hi.

Have you had any luck with this issue?

We have had problems with devices connecting at 5Ghz for months.  

2.4 and 5Ghz have different  SSID's but identical passwords which worked for a while but recently only 2.4Ghz allows connections. 

Is it a router firmware issue?

Regards 

Drewe
Dabbler

5GHZ still isn't working. Whenever I try and connect to 5Ghz it says there isn't a valid internet connection.
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

As you have worked out, this is the firmware bug.
As you will have also realised now, Plusnet staff are slow to respond on the issue and still reluctant to admit it exists to new threads which report it.
The main thread on the issue is here :-
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-losing-internet-connection-on-5Ghz-WiFi-only/td-p/16...
and is the one referred to in the article on ISPreview.
I started the thread here in April and as you can see there are now 28 pages and absolutely no meaningful progress.
You will be better off following and posting on that thread rather than starting another one like this. The latest post on there is the usual update from Plusnet staff claiming that they are working on the issue.
I am waiting for a response from Bob Pullen and will post there if and when I get a meaningful update on any progress.