cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3M power extension cable for the Hub One router?

Tone24
Grafter

3M power extension cable for the Hub One router?

Can someone please point me in the right direction for a 3M DC extension cable for the Hub One router, preferably Amazon? I want to be able to plug the router in at the BT master socket, but the power lead is too short and I don't want to end up buying one that doesn't fit the router.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3M power extension cable for the Hub One router?

I've had a look on Amazon @Tone24, and I guess you have and they're not the easiest things to source it would appear. If I were you I'd just go for a Power Lead extension that way you can't get it wrong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYQCYOQ

Granted not as elegant but future proof if nothing else.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Tone24 

Hi,

I think this will do the job

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5mm-DC-Power-Extension-Cables-Male-Female-1-5m-3m-5m-10m-CCTV-security-...

I don't want to unplug mine to check the plug but from what I can see without doing that it is the right plug. I have used these extensions before for other devices with no problems.

Cheers,

Nige.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NigeBoy, if you remove your own you'll see that this isn't the right barrel size / type.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@NigeBoy  I'm not sure that has the correct connectors. Looking at this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Looking-to-extend-power-supply-of-my-router-but-DC-con... the connector appears to be 5.5mm OD and 3.1 ID

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Anonymous 

I don't want to do that due to other issues I am having which is why I am on the forum!

Does it look more like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1mm-x-5-5mm-DC-Extension-Lead-Connector-0-5m-1m-1-5m-3m-5m/253768182688?hash=item3b15c32ba0:m:m2fd-zghYHoaWx6odeInmHA

Difference is the internal diameter. 2.1 mm on this as opposed to 2.5 on the other.

From photos on ebay it looks like 2.5 but I find the 2.5 works to replace either anyway.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

I'll just keep quiet then, sorry Embarrassed

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If you're brave and good with a soldering iron , then cut the cable and splice in an extension. The cable looks like it's twin figure 8 cable so easy to separate the cores. You just need a length of similar cable ( 2A rating I would guess ) and some shrink sleeve.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NigeBoy I’m not to sure it just doesn’t look right to me TBH. As @MisterW says an easy option would be to cut the head of the existing PSU and simply extend the lead. On mine (that I don’t use) there’s a white line on one of the wires so provided these matched at both ends extending it would be easy and with some terminal blocks or inline connectors similar to these there would be no need for a soldering iron and you can get these bits at Homebase, B&Q etc.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@Anonymous 

You are right. It was my mistake. 

I have never come across a plug with an inside diameter of 3.1 before. I have read elsewhere (not on here) that I wouldn't find an extension for a power supply for something before only to find that a 5.5 x 2.5 mm one has fit and worked.

I have even unplugged my router and tried it here now & am happy to confirm that it doesn't fit! Sorry for the mis-information and thanks to @MisterW  for correcting me.

It is always a pain having to use a mains extension cable for something like this.

Edit - typo 

Tone24
Grafter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like I might have to go the block connector route, unless someone can come up with a link to the correct fitting, but I'm reluctant to do this because the router power lead doesn't have any markings on it . Usually there are broken white lines or something.

Tone24
Grafter

Oh hang on, there is. I didn't notice them before because they are dark grey on a black background. This sure makes things much easier.