cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704n router problem

nantlass

2704n router problem

Hi,

Tearing my hair out this afternoon.  Sorted out all my wireless requirements no problem.  Then plugged an Ethernet cable into smart tv, no problem.  Plugged in my network camera to set it up and up it came, no problem. Did a refresh so I could see all connected devices.  Some wireless connections showed but no Ethernet.  Unplugged one of the Ethernet cables did a refresh and nothing showed.  Tried another refresh and all the wireless connections showed. This continued until I convinced myself there was a problem with the modem.  Time to call the tech guys to see if I have a faulty modem.  After 40 minutes I have a reply from 'Dean'.  I try to explain the situation and he says he can’t help setting up devices.  I understand that but I can’t set things up if I can’t see what ip they’re on.  He tells me again he’s not allowed to help me with port forwarding.  I explained that wasn't what I wanted him to do.  I want to know if my modem is faulty and then ask if I’m allowed to replace the hub with my own.  He can’t help me with that either. So there we are, my first contact with tech guys and I'm already waiting for November 2018 when I can go back to BT (I didn't think I'd ever say that). I've been setting up routers for years, BT, Sky, Virgin etching etc etc. Never had a problem. I think 'Dean' was ready to go home and I must have been his last caller.  Not impressed and very disappointed.  Am I expecting too much from the 2740n?

6 REPLIES 6
azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 2704n router problem

Yes, you can use your own router.

Set the broadband username as your user name@plusdsl.net and password same as your account password

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, you can use your old BT Home Hub on Plusnet too.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/td-p/1192234

I'm afraid the 2704n is a cheap n cheerful router.  There are known issues with the firmware.

If you know the hardware MAC address of your network camera, you can try and reserve a fixed IP for it.

The 2704n also has a hidden expert mode

http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html

If you do manage to get port forwarding working initially, you may still have issues later.

I'm afraid I don't have a 2704n, so can't add any more to this post.  Good luck.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It could be also one of those bugs where wifi clients can't see Ethernet clients and vice versa. Not sure OP mentioned how the device, he/she was checking on, was connected.
That's RPM to you!!
nantlass

I was using an Android tab to try and do the business.  I never thought to use my laptop but will take a look at that next time I look at it.  Part of the frustration was I could see some of the connections, which would then disappear when I did a refresh.  Thanks for the reply.

nantlass

Thank you bill888, I appreciate your input, as I do everyones.  I have a couple of Homehubs so will try those next time I have a free day.  I paid £5 for a fixed ip from Plusnet so shouldn’t get any problems with my camera, when I eventually set it up.  I did spot last night whilst researching this there was an expert mode for the 2407e.

I think the disappointment was the attitude of the Plusnet tech, whose monotone negative replies were meant to annoy.  When you've been frustrated for hours on end the last thing you need is a conversation with someone like that.

Never mind onwards and upwards.  The next time I try I’ll be carrying a couple of hubs with me, as well as my laptop.  Thanks again.

azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Something else which might help.

As you have an Android tablet, there are free APPS available to analyse your network (I use Net Analyzer).

You can use this to see all your MAC & IP addresses, then check that the router is telling you the same.