cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704n router Ip address range

sunshine2
Hooked

2704n router Ip address range

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie who has just pent 2.5 hours trying to connect a second router (TP-link) to the router above to create a wifi  access point  so please be gentle with me Smiley I need to know the IP address range of my 2704n router in order to set the second router outside the range of the main router to avoid conflicts. I have logged in to my router admin page and searched everywhere to find what range it is set to and cannot find anything, can't even find any DHCP settings, also used the very helpful expert links here and still no info. Can any of you help please? It's the last piece of the jig saw puzzle to iron out conflicts between the two routers Smiley thank you Smiley 

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: 2704n router Ip address range

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Tech Help to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@sunshine2   Welcome to the forum 

You need the expert user mode.

The linked post is one that I produced to help people configure things the other war around, that is use a Hub Zero as the AP but I guess that it will point you to all that you want. The default IP range is 192.168.1.1-253.

Why do you need a different IP range for the Access Point to be different to the router? The way I always set up APs is to switch off DCHP on the AP and set the AP IP address within the fixed range of the router. This then enables the router to allocate IP addresses and monitor all connected devices regardless of whether they are connected via the AP or not. See the linked post.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Turning-a-Hub-Zero-into-an-Access-Point/m-p/1687008#M14870

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

sunshine2
Hooked

Thank you very much for the link, I will take a look. I was advised by the TP Link tech line chat to change the TP link router/AP settings to ranges outside my main routers range, I did wonder why given that DCHP was disabled on the TP link/AP router however, I'm not tech experienced in these matters so went with the advice as using the TP link Access point quick set up caused my internet to go down Smiley

sunshine2
Hooked

Ok @Baldrick1 , I've looked at the post you linked, than you. As I'm using a TP link router as the AP, do I just go into that router's admin and make the same changes? I've already disabled DHCP in the AP, just would need to change the IP address to 192.168.1.60 as you suggest, is that correct?😊

Baldrick1

@sunshine2 

That's correct. No other changes should be required.

Moderator and Customer

sunshine2
Hooked

Great, seems to be working so far, last time it didn't know out the main internet connection for 24 hours so I'll monitor it and hope all is well. Very grateful for your time, thank you 😊

sunshine2
Hooked

An update, 7 hours after I connected the AP, the main internet went down again and no amount of reset, reboot and re entering the password would work. 9am call to tech this morning and they have decided that the router is overloaded as it's 5 years old so they are sending me a new router for which I am now on a fixed term contract (£5 pcm cheaper) to get it free and paying £6.99 to have it packaged up and delivered (I have asked for the delivery fee to be waived as its a hardware issue, waiting to hear) .

They have confirmed that it is not a problem with the settings on the AP (thanks again @Baldrick1 ) I have created however they wonder if the old router can cope with an AP. Interesting as there's no gamers in this household so use is not heavy - in fact not even usual family use levels however, obviously an increase in zoom etc so we can all (3) do some work. I did ask how I was getting my paid for fibre broadband on a router that most have reported does not access fibre and it was explained that connecting the router to the modem was allowing fibre. The new router will not need the modem.

Tech help and this forum have been great, I do wish the router issue was identified earlier as it has caused alot of stress and challenges to have the internet down so much (2 uni students with online lectures and work to upload at crucial dissertation time!)

Thanks to all , hoping the new plusnet router solves the issue Smiley

Baldrick1

@sunshine2 

Hopefully a new router will solve your problem. Whilst it may be on it's way out, to suggest that it's being overloaded because it's 5 years old is a load of tosh. Anyway, if the new contract is saving you £5 per month then that's great.

In my opinion the Hub Zero is a poor device and £6.99 is about what it is worth including P&P. In different circumstances I would have recommended that you obtained a BT Smarthub 6 for not much more than that from an auction site such as Ebay. You might well have found that the dual band WiFi on these is so much better that you do not need a wireless AP.

Moderator and Customer

sunshine2
Hooked

Update: New hub one arrived in record time, well done customer services! it wouldn't connect internet...customer services call.. test on line 'inconclusive', forwarded to Openreach to rectify - up to 72 hrs wait (Friday). Since then, internet service arrives for a bit then goes again for a day. Definitely not the router Smiley Awaiting Openreach tests. I won't take up forum space with any more updates, just wanted to report that the router was not the issue Smiley