Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704n Performance Issue / UI lockup while steaming Video from Amazon Prime

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

2704n Performance Issue / UI lockup while steaming Video from Amazon Prime

Is anyone else having performance issues with their 2704n when streaming video from on demand services specifically Amazon & BBC I player. This streaming works fine most of the time, occasionally it will stop and buffer but resumes after a minute or so. Last time this happened I tried to log into the router via the 192.168.1.254 web interface and it was just timing out. 

I rebooted my laptop to see if that would make any difference accessing web interface but it wouldn't even connect back to WiFi even though it could get a strong signal. In the end I resorted to the power switch on the router and everything started working again after it had started back up.

The device doing the streaming is a Sony blu ray player connected via ethernet and powerline adapters back to the router. The router is sat upright in the hall on small table with plenty of space to allow air to circulate, its connected to the internet via an Openreach fibre modem.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: 2704n Performance Issue / UI lockup while steaming Video from Amazon Prime

I've seen the 2704n misbehave too.  WiFi connected devices stop talking to wire connected devices.  Wifi devices also being unable to get a proper connection after dropping off the network.

Plusnet tells me this cannot happen! Ticked_off

A reboot of the router usually cures it until next time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Townman thanks for the reply.

So its not just me then:

I've seen the evidence of both the issues you mention below. When it was playing up the other night I couldn't ping the Blu ray player from my laptop, kept getting "destination host unreachable" which looks like a routing / bridging issue. Also seen my Nexus 5 dropping off the WiFi, which I just put down to Android and WiFi issues.

It sounds like if this router gets a high load placed on it  (e.g. Streaming Amazon Video) then it can't service the WiFi or the web UI. Sounds like it may be that the CPU is under powered for what its trying to do.

I expected better from a device designed to work with fibre broadband, the words "not fit for purpose" spring to mind.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

For me the jury is still out on this being a stress / load issue.  Personally I suspect it's a length of time in operation issue.  Memory leak, table corruption, something quite subtle, for to each device connected, Internet connection is fine.  Wifi devices can see wifi devices and wired devices can see wired devices but not each other.  Devices which loos their wifi sessions cannot establish new ones.

Others reporting the same issue might lead to PlusNET accepting that there is an issue requiring investigation.  It took a year for me to get acceptance of spoofed IP addresses with the TG582n with Win8/8.1/10 devices.  I'm not hopeful that this issue will be accepted any quicker, unless we can raise a large enough evidence base through the forum?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.