cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704N (Hub Zero) Constant Issues - Not fit for purpose

Lysen
Grafter

2704N (Hub Zero) Constant Issues - Not fit for purpose

We joined PN in February. They sent us a 2704N. It isn't fit for purpose. After wrestling with support, they finally admitted that yes, they can send a new router...and sent us another 2704N. It has the same issues.

The issues are notorious on these forums. The router craps out. It isn't a line issue. Disconnecting the DSL cable and pinging the router, it dies. The GUI at 192.168.1.254 is unresponsive. Pings time out. 

It's truly bottom of the barrel. The proprietary PN firmware is stripped of functionality, even on the expert_user page. You can't even enable or view the log file.

How does PN justify using this junk? What are we meant to do? Customer service is recommending buying second hand competitor routers (BT hubs) off eBay. Great. Why was that not in the contract? "New customers should pick up a second hand BT router off eBay".

What exactly am i meant to do? When it finally functions again, the ARP table lists devices as "incomplete" (i.e., the router failed to communicate with them because it doesn't function correctly); the DHCP table lists devices with 0 second lease times; and the GUI home page alternates between not listing them, and listing them as "unknown". I've tried custom firmware, and disabling DHCP and manually assigning IPs to MAC addresses, but to no avail.

I spent years with TalkTalk -- the worst ISP in Britain. Even they did a better job...

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

1 REPLY 1
Lysen
Grafter

2704n unresponsive - not fit for purpose

Already posted a thread which has disappeared into the ether.
We have a 2704n. Joined PN in Feb. No end of issues.
The router doesn't function properly. Seems like a DHCP issue, but as the proprietary firmware bundled with it is stripped of functionality, there's no way to be certain.
The issue isn't with our line, as even with the DSL cable removed, communicating soon the LAN is impossible. Thr issue is with the router when more than one device is connected.
When pinged, requests time out. Devices show on the main page as unknown, on the DHCP table as 0 second lease times, and on the ARP table as incomplete.

This is a known issue dating back to 2015 when this router was introduced. Why is this still a problem? What is the solution? Support says to buy a third party second and router. Why wasn't this made clear when I signed up?