cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or Dual Band - Trying to resolve slow wifi

rogermhunt
Grafter

2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or Dual Band - Trying to resolve slow wifi

I'm trying to resolve recent slow Broadband speeds. We usually get around 33Mbps on both desktop PCs. For the last few weeks, it's been anything from between 3Mbps and 9Mbps.

In my investigations I came across inSSIDer as a tool to try and figure out what's going on. Bearing in mind that I'm a novice, I can see that the 2.4Ghz is running on Channel 11 and the 5Ghz is now running on Channel 40 (it was 48 before I refreshed the PN Hub).

I'm a bit confused because when I click on Device Manager and look at the properties of my network adapter it has a value showing Dual Band 802.11 a/b/g.

However, when I look on the Plusnet Hub, it shows that both our desktop PCs are using 2.4Ghz and that are no devices detected for 5Ghz . Now the fact that inSSIDer is showing two entries for my Router ID (presumably one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz I can't figure what this all means.

Why is PN Hub saying no devices detected under the 5Ghz.

Sorry if I've not explained this very well, but all I want to do is to try and ensure that I'm getting the best out of my wifi in a bid to try and improve the recent slow speeds (which seem to pick up every now and then later in the day).

One thought is that lots of people are experiencing slow speeds because there are more people staying at home and using the network, but looking on inSSIDer, there it doesn't appear to be too crowded in my vicinity.

Thanks if anyone can offer a steer.

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or Dual Band - Trying to resolve slow wifi

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Could be your devices are connected to the 2.4GHz band only.

You can try seperating the bands and choosing which one to connect to, to see if that helps.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
rogermhunt
Grafter

Thanks very much! I'll take a look tomorrow and let you know how things go 🙂

rogermhunt
Grafter

I've done all of that now and it hasn't made any difference.

In fact, the speeds this morning are dreadful and so I've followed the Broadband Troubleshooting process and eventually arrived at the diagnostics.

I've attached the Performance Report.

I've also tried to phone Plusnet for Technical Support, but they're unable to take calls and the automated message points me towards this Forum or the online Help.

I can't work with a download speed of 2.82 Mbps (should be between 20 - 33Mbps).

There must be a fault somewhere and yet the Service Status reports 'no problems'. It seems that other Plusnet users in my village (via the Facebook community page) are also complaining of very slow speeds, which have been going on for a couple of weeks at least. The general consensus is that because there are so many people working from home then there are huge numbers more than usual using the internet (and so competing with each other). I don't know if that could be the reason. All I know is that mine has dropped in speed by about 80%, especially in the mornings but does seem to pick up (to around 9Mbps) as the day goes on.

It seems I'm not getting anywhere  unfortunately. 

Any ideas please?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@rogermhunt 

Is it any better if you connect to your router via an Ethernet cable rather than wireless?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rogermhunt
Grafter

Unfortunately there's no way I can do that as the router/socket is downstairs in the hall by the kitchen door and the computer  is upstairs

rogermhunt
Grafter

I've just now literally swapped everything back so it's running on the 2.4Ghz band and, coincidence or not, I've got speeds between 15Mbps and 18Mbps. Still not  great, but let's see whether this will hold.

rogermhunt
Grafter

Forget what I posted above! It's back to around 4Mbps! I''ve also raised a Ticket but not expecting a response anytime soon.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@rogermhunt 

I fear that the ticket will get you nowhere until you test with an Ethernet cable. I know that no one wants cabling strung around the house but you can get a ready terminated length as long as you will ever need for very little money. I got so fed up with wireless and power line units that I wired my house with Ethernet cable and have never looked back. 

You might get a bit better performance with a wireless booster or a powerline pair but that is a matter of chance depending on many factors.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @rogermhunt

I'm sorry you've had some trouble with your connection. I've ran a GEA test on your service just now, and you are currently syncing at 40mbps down and 10mbps with no banding on the line. As you've confirmed the issues are noticed mostly over WiFi, it's worth going ahead with getting the connection into the test socket (it doesn't need to be permanent) and testing via Ethernet just to rule internal/face-plates out. 

For WiFi issues please do go ahead with these steps here

Thanks.