Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4Ghz band on Hub One internet may not be available

davybhoy1983
Grafter

2.4Ghz band on Hub One internet may not be available

Hi.

So as the topic suggests I keep getting 'Internet may not be available' when using the 2.4Ghz band on my Plusnet Hub. It only really matters when I'm in the bedroom as I have seperated the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands and always get the 5Ghz signal elsewhere. When this happens I get the exclamation mark on the WiFi strength indicator on my Galaxy S9.

The odd time it will show as connected, but when that occurs the internet still doesn't work. This is even despite the exclamation mark also being away.

Sporadically the signal will just disappear totally for a short time altogether before coming back as and when it feels like.

I have tried automatic and manual channel selection using WiFi analyzer and split the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands but nothing seems to help.

Thanks

Davy
4 REPLIES 4
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: 2.4Ghz band on Hub One internet may not be available

Hi Davy,

When it shows as connected, what is the strength like?

Also if feasible, I would try moving the router to another part of your property and see if it makes any difference.

davybhoy1983
Grafter

HI Alex,

The signal was normally fairly strong, about 2 out of the 4 bars available on my phone.

I probably could move it although it wouldn't then be plugged into the master socket. That's not that bad in itself but I have 2 Sky Boosters as the distance between my 2Tb Sky Q and Sky Q Mini boxes is too far so I'd have to reposition those too.

I stumbled across this thread last night https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/td-p/1349153 and had a read. I used to have BT FTTP so I stuck the BT Ultrafast Hub in and set it up using my Plusnet info. Hopefully that will help...

Regards

Davy
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep sounds a bit of a nightmare given the kit you've got. Smiley

I just meant move it as a test - if you're happy with everything and all is working better and want to keep it there, then fine. If not you can always move it back.

We just use the Hub One which is fine for us, but other people who use other hardware may have their own recommendations.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @davybhoy1983 ,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

In regards to the issue you are seeing one thing I'd suggest to do is factory reset the router.

This can be done by pressing a pin, cocktail stick etc.. into the "reset hole on the back of the router for 5-15 seconds. You should see the router reboot and then within a few minutes hopefully this may have resolved the issue you're seeing.

After you've factory reset, please follow the below instructions to re-split the channels.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

If these steps don't help, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.