cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4 Ghz much slower than 5 Ghz

hjgtiger
Dabbler

2.4 Ghz much slower than 5 Ghz

I upgraded to Fibre Extra a few weeks ago and measure ~ 72 MB/s on a wired connection. I also get a similar speed on my new  Android tablet on 5GHz wifi. 

All my other devices only support 2.4 GHz and they only get ~ 40 to 43 MB/s on wifi.

I have reset the router and tried several different 2.4 channels but speed will not increase. There are several devices that can be running on 2.4 including: Amazon Echo, 2 smart plugs, 2 mobile phones an iPad and a laptop.

Could the router be at fault? 

I know 40+ is pretty good but I am paying for 70+

Any advice - please

27 REPLIES 27
Alex69

Re: 2.4 Ghz much slower than 5 Ghz

I have the same problem.

hjgtiger
Dabbler

@Alex69  have you tried anything to fix it - that I haven't?  Of course,  when I was only on 'regular' fibre at 36mps I never knew that there was a problem.

Have you tried speaking to Plusnet directly?  I guess that's the next step unless I get a 'fix' response on this forum. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'd say that either the devices you've mentioned getting 40-43mbps are the bottleneck or there's a lot of interference on the 2.4GHz frequency. What sort of speeds do you get if you connect your Android tablet to the 2.4GHz?

If that's also getting around the 40mbps mark then I'd look at downloading a WiFi analyser app to see if the channels are congested and try to identify the best channel that's quietest. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex69

Not yet, I will look into choosing diferent channel, see if it improves. I was with BT before and had no problems with wifi speed.

I even loose the wifi connection time to time, wondering if is the quality of route?

hjgtiger
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf, I could not find any way of changing the tablet (Samsung Tab A) frequency to 2.4 - there was no option in 'settings'.But I downloaded a Wifi analyser which indicated channels 1 & 2 as red but the rest all multiple green stars. So I switched router from auto to channel 4. I now get ~ 45 Mps on phone and laptop.

I am only ~ 3 - 4 metres from the router - it is facing me

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@hjgtiger All devices should in theory be capable of connecting to the 2.4GHz frequency although it may not be called that, can you post up a screenshot showing the available networks on your tab? Also the best channels are generally 1, 6 and 11 (depending on congestion) as these don't overlap each other as much.

@Alex69 Not in the office this weekend to check your line, but are you able to test from a wired connection to compare?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex69

I get full speed with cable, the problem is with wifi

hjgtiger
Dabbler

@Gandalf Phone 2.jpgPhone 1.jpgTab a 2.jpgTab a 1.jpgtwo of tab a & two of phone. Do they help? Nothing looks likely to change frequency 

BTW all my readings are with VPN switched off, with it on the speed drops further.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@hjgtiger To double-check have you de-sync'd the wireless frequencies through your router settings, creating two wireless networks you'd be able to choose from? I've just been (maybe incorrectly) assuming you have as you've mentioned you know which frequency is working better than the other, but I'm unsure now although I'd imagine you could've always checked the network map in the router to find out which frequency your devices are connecting to.

To split the frequencies, you'll need to carry out the below steps:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254
  2. Click on Advanced Settings
  3. Log in with the admin password from the back of the router
  4. Click on Wireless
  5. Click on 5GHz Wireless
  6. Toggle the radio option next to Sync with 2.4GHz to No
  7. Rename the SSID to something different
  8. Click on the Apply button

Let me know how you get on.

@Alex69 If a wired connection is OK there shouldn't be anything wrong with the 'route'/the broadband signal going into your router, so I'd also recommend carrying out the above steps. You should then be able to identify how your devices perform across the 2.4GHz or GHz. Let me know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hjgtiger
Dabbler

@Gandalf  I have de-synched and switched 2.4 to channel 6, still get ~ 45 MPs, so no improvement 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Do you see two wireless networks on your tab now to connect it up to the 2.4GHz network to test?

Also similarly do you now see the 5GHz frequency on the devices you didn't see it on before?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hjgtiger
Dabbler

Yes I get the new renamed 5ghz showing as a channel - on the devices that will operate on 5g. 

On the tab a, on 2.4 I get ~ 53 MPs and on 5 I get ~73

The devices which only use 2.4 cannot see the new 5g network.

The phone & laptop just get ~ 40 ish - both 2.4 only

So 2.4 is not getting anywhere near the 73

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Getting a better speed via the 2.4GHz frequency on your tab but not your other devices assuming they're in the same location may indicate a bottleneck/speed limitation on the devices that are maxing out at about 40mbps.

With regards to your tab, the 5GHz frequency while generally shorter in range should be better than the 2.4GHz as it doesn't succumb to interference as much, so this sounds like it's going to be an interference issue on the 2.4GHz, you could try changing the channel to 11? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hjgtiger
Dabbler

On channel 11, tab a gets 51, laptop gets 45

Al testing is done ~ 3 metres from router, so we are still down by a significant amount.